Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: COPO Anders' Swedish LeMans !

2 tone is pretty unusual.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:05 PM

That car is sweet, a good collection of tapes must be nearby as well.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:43 PM

It seems two-tone paint schemes were becoming very fashionable towards the early to mid 70's. I've alway found these factory built two-tone '72 Elco's to be pretty interesting. I can't say I've ever even seen one in person, but it appears to have been a trail baloon of sorts for the two-tone paint/moulding design that would be incorporated into the '73 ElCamino bodystyle. Anyone got a factory documented two-tone 69 Camaro w/ a painted top?
Two-Tone ElCamino
Old 06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,027 Times in 513 Posts

You find many examples of painted roofs in the late 50's early 60's, before vinyl roofs came on the scene. Also rooflines were more defined. Most I've come across were like my '63 Galaxie, which was delivered to the Phoenix AZ sales district with a white painted top on its burgandy body. I've seen several examples from AZ/CA areas where white tops were ordered to minimize heat soak from the sun. Ford had a large number of two tone paint combinations available that year, and I wish my car had been specified with the same Rose Beige paint on top as the interior color. As it is, I repainted it all burgandy, as the white just didn't go with anything else on the car.

Though it would appear there was an effort to keep offering two tones in the early '70's, I would think most people so inclined would have opted for the vinyl tops to achieve the same effect. Also, I've always thought '68-'72 A-bodies, the very similarly shaped '70-up Dusters and Demons, and other cars with Coke Bottle shapes and flowing C-pillar designs look awkward with that artificial break of chrome trim and color in the middle of that sweeping C-pillar.

I'm always pleasantly surprised by the strong American car culture in the Scandinavian countries. I half expect to find an American Automotive Restoration section when I go to IKEA.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:45 PM

Cool looking car. I bought a 72 Nova AZ. car 350/350,A/C,tinted glass that had code 43green body with a white painted top.Build sheet on top of the gas tank confirmed it was ordered that way.Shouldn't have sold that one. Oh well water under the bridge.
Kendall
Old 06-10-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2 tone is pretty unusual.

[/ QUOTE ]
A buddy of mine had a 64 olds F85, Blue with white painted roof, ill look for a picture.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:01 AM

Sweet Pontiac! Amazing condition considering the mileage and climate it's been in. Those 2.78:1 cogs would have to go though.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is another Framingham built car with the notorious "cut" buildsheet. This was discussed a few weeks back and someone had mentioned that they had seen several examples of Chevelles from the "G" factory with the left most third of the buildsheet apparently cut like Anders. My '69 L78 also presents this way. It appears that this was a local practice/habit for whatever reason. Would love to know why.

Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

For those keeping score, came across another "G" built car with what appears to be their characteristic signature 1/3rd "cut" build sheet. This is a '69 GTO Judge. Nice docs on this car BTW including a full buildsheet that escaped the torture:

<font color="green"> '69 Verdoro Grn Judge </font>

Old 01-30-2006, 01:16 AM

That monster tape player is a cassette deck. Pretty new for the time. Any idea what the unit is off the passenger side of the engine?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:13 PM

Keith, that´s a gas driven engine-heater. You need it if you want to start the engine when it´s way below freezing-point. I assume that kind of stuff is used in Canada as well.
I have taken it out of the car.