Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-16-2013, 04:13 AM

Default stolen camaro found out of state

y'all bare with me new this computer stuff.

Jan 2012, my 1973 Z28 Camaro stolen off my property. 2 wks ago got call from Detective. Someone appied for a title out of state. already had tag & insurance on it for a year. (Even though police report made.)So he is informed of car being stolen. Told to make contact with police here where report was made.(REALLY!?) Detective ask me to call man whom has my car, see if we can work out some kinda agreement. That he had invested alot of $ into restoring. When he purchased no transmission, gas tank, fuel lines, steering wheel, drive shaft, gear shift, dashboard, rear end,& list goes on. Hum sounds me like the theift made some big bucks! I told detective I just want my car back. he said for me make contact with their local PD give them info etc. SO I DID .. then I was told this morning..The man whom purchased my stolen Camaro has civil rights & will retain car until PD speaks with DA, find out what to do. REALLY??!! When was law changed about having stolen property even after having knowlege of it? or even a civil right is over the Law? What about my rights, my loss, I was the first victim here.. This afternoon get a email from mans lawyer. They want me pay them $13,500 to recover his investment. What!!! If you have any info to help me PLEASE share. I do not have $13,500 to buy my own stolen car back.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 36790.jpg 36789.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-16-2013, 04:45 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: stolen camaro found out of state

Did you have the car insured and did the insurance pay you for the loss of the car? If so, I think they would actually own the car now that it is found. I also think that the guy that has the car now can remove any parts he installed or had installed. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
James
Old 11-16-2013, 04:53 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Call your local FBI office and ask to speak to the squad that handles Interstate Transportation of Stolen Motor Vehicles (ITSMV). Tell them your very valuable collector car was stolen and just found to be registered in another state. Most of the guys that work that violation are car guys and usually go the extra mile. What local detective is telling you is wrong. The original owner's rights take precedence.

In addition, call the DA in your town and raise a stink right now. The more higher level people you talk to, the more satisfaction you will get.

Call the local newspaper in your area. Stolen collector car recoveries are usuallly attractive media events.

P.S. Something just doesnt sound right here. Do you actually know this local detective that called you, actually works for the police department? It sounds very much like a scam to get $13k out of you.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 AM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270874
Old 11-16-2013, 11:35 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Very interesting! So it is a real situation and the current owner is looking for help, too. Most of the advice over there is accurate in reference to a prior title having superior ownership rights.

Never, ever start putting money into a car that you do not have a title, too. That is part of the reason they issue titles: to check the vailidty of the chain of ownership and fix your ownership rights in stone. And yes, i realize some states don't issue titles for old cars any more. NJ does and they run you through the ringer, if you have a car coming from a non titled state.

The semi-serious advice of some of the other guys over there about pulling your parts off or chopping up the car is not too good. It could transform the innocent, good faith purchaser of a stolen car into someone charged as an accessory after the fact, or a possessor of a stolen vehicle.

So the big question for Comebackcamaro is this: Was the car titled in your name, and if so was it insured and did you get paid for the loss? If the answer to the first question is NO, then its going to be a real tough battle to prove your ownership rights are superior. If it was insured and you got paid, it is the insurance company's car to battle over, not yours.

I think one of the posters over there summed it up very well: <span style="font-style: italic">&quot;This is a sucky deal for both parties&quot;</span>
Old 11-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,174 Posts

I know we usually say: &quot;This thread is worthless without pics&quot;

In this case: this thread is worthless without all of the facts.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:24 PM

I 'm not sure how to upload puctures. no insurance was a drag car. therefor have not collected any insurance. I have been study reseaching email &amp; today got a call the police where car is found stolen has been recovered by police. and so far what I am gathering is.. sadly for him thank god for me is any investments put into car he the purchaser has to go back after the seller.
I will know more on monday morning.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:50 PM

It's unfortunate if you don't have to reimburse the guy who did all of that work to the car before you get it back. He didn't know any better.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:57 PM

this really is a hard case for both parties. and thats reason choose not to have direct contact. I am truely saden for the 16 yr old &amp; hopes he can someday find want he wants &amp; not be stolen.
as to the comments about stripping the car back down well yes that could lead to more problems. the car did need inside work did have little rust but as seen gas tank fuel line etc was removed. this was a drag car.the theift here made every $ he could.also let me add couple weeks later we had 2 more engines stolen. who knows what he recieved would love to know who is the theift &amp; have him put under the jail. i do not wish to have any jail time or record for buyer. he is victim here as well. however bottom line is, its our car, we filed report, 2 yrs later found out of state. we want our car back! did not collect insurance. do not have money to pay for buyers loss. (if we did would hae already replaced.)
Old 11-16-2013, 09:57 PM

also the car had slicks on them not dry roitted tires.