Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 12-18-2009, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Ken Veit's 69 Camaro runs 10.65 on GY Polyglass

[ QUOTE ]
That's about 725 HP. Good Tilburg 396 makes about 575 HP. I'd like to dress up John Armstrong's SS/AA Corvette 427 in the FAST class and stick it in that car. I'm sure the ET and MPH would be off the charts. Especially the MPH.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]
Would be a ton of work, 'cause you'd basically be going back to a "stock" car, from a cut up race car...but I guarantee you if John had a go at it he would do well!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 PM

arent these FAST cars gutted?

Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
arent these FAST cars gutted?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gutted? No...lightened, absolutely! Like any good racer will tell you, "you ain't gotta tune weight"! But they're not hacked up like 99% of your race cars (no mini tubs, tube sub-frames, etc)...you'll see full interiors, complete engine compartments. Remember, this class was originally called "Stock Appearing", and FAST stands for "Factory Appearing Stock Tire".
Old 12-18-2009, 07:00 PM

Stock Eliminator cars are not cut up on mini tubbed. Talked to one of my racing buddies back east who knows a little about the FAST cars. Many are guarded about letting anyone see the engine bay.....period. Hoods are closed most of the time too. What's to hide?

Not like this at INDY in the tear down barn.

Bob
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Sure wasn't like that at the Martin (US131) FAST race. Dudec tore his Hemi down (and reassembled it) in front of everybody. Lots of hoods open for fans to take pictures at most of the races I've been to.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 12-18-2009, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stock Eliminator cars are not cut up on mini tubbed. Talked to one of my racing buddies back east who knows a little about the FAST cars. Many are guarded about letting anyone see the engine bay.....period. Hoods are closed most of the time too. What's to hide?

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Some cars are gutted- some are not. Ed Cook's black A12(six pack wedge) RR weighs in at 3920 with the driver. Big Ed weighs about 335#. He took some weight out of it, but because it's a real factory black A12 liftoff hood car and is worth a small fortune, he has no plans on gutting the car out to the moon as some of the other competitors have. Same holds true for his kid's red car- which weighs around the same and has run a best of 11.12 @ 126.80- with a 4 speed.

As for accountability. I can only say this. Dave Dudek(who's Hemi RR is the FASTest in the class andhas won more of these events than anyone), tore his engine down for the world to see at the Nats and his engine teardown has been featured in several magazines. I have personally built several cars that run in this class-including Ed's RR, and none of the guys that I did work for that run these cars would have any issue with people poking around their stuff.

Ed's car has been pretty heavily teched. It has run a best of 10.94 @ 127.60 on G60-15 redlines.

MB
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2009, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]
"Stock Eliminator" cars may not be (as bad), but Super/Stock cars are...and that's what you referenced above when you mentioned Armstrong's SS/AA car. NHRA says the S/S cars are a bit more "liberal" in regards to chassis mods, which is an understatement!

As for the hoods closed on a FAST car, was your friend in the lanes, in the pits, etc? Frankly, though, who cares(!), because the rules say the engine compartment *must* look stock, and they do, and a pretty thorough lookie-lou is part of the tech procedure right off the bat...and several of the cars get yanked to the side later and asked for an even more indepth inspection. And, Stock & Super/Stock cars aren't exactly forth coming in opening their hoods, either...and they're only open in the tech barn because they *have* to be!

I've been to a vast majority of these FAST races, since before they were organized as FAST, and I still run with that series to this day (in our Factory Stock car), and I can tell you, the cars *look* stock, inside & out...I've seen them with MY OWN eyes, and I'm kicking around stepping into the FAST playground myself. These cars look "Factory Appearing", just like their title says...what's so hard to figure out here?

Again, here are the RULES.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to dress up John Armstrong's SS/AA Corvette 427 in the FAST class and stick it in that car. I'm sure the ET and MPH would be off the charts. Especially the MPH.

[/ QUOTE ]

And while I'm on a roll, lemme add this little gem...

It's a tad presumptuous to think that Armstrong could instantly build a car that would trump anything that the top guys in the FAST series are doing...I'll guarantee you that Terry Pennington (FAST record holder with a 10.3x) and Dave Dudek (FAST mph record holder at 134+), have their ducks in a row...and that goes for nearly the entire FAST field. Armstrong is good at what he does...no he's GREAT at what he does...but while these FAST guys may have been born at night, it wasn't *last* night!

Just my $.02...and Merry Christmas, everyone!
Old 12-19-2009, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Ken Veit's 69 Camaro runs 10.65 on GY Polyglas

hey ,2 of my favorite classes are stock eliminator and F.A.S.T..I know some stock eliminator guys that redrill the bottom aframe bolt location and then fill in the old holes.So you can;t say some of these guys don;t have a few tricks up their sleeves.F.A.S.T. guys like Dudek and terry Pennington,Veit etc, are guys that have done their homework and have spent many hours on the dyno's.i think they are all smart guys and ,fill lucky to have these in the musclecar industries.me personally, am a purestocker guy;and plan on dynoing this 396/375 hp motor in afew weeks.chris
Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Ken Veit's 69 Camaro runs 10.65 on GY Polyglas

i spoke to mr.tilberg a while back .top of the game guy, for sure.Chris