Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-03-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napa68 View Post
I recently had dove into Pontiac's (hardcore Chevrolet guy) and bounced around with some different vendors. I have had the best results with Ames so far.

I agree with you and some of the others about maintaining the original tank. But that having been said, you could be fighting an uphill battle with debris and driveability. If I were walking your shoes, I'd but a new tank and sender, replace all of the rubber components, and call it good. I don't think you would have to look back.

As far as the undercoating, I'll throw my .02 in. Not only on the 76 Trans Am I have been working on, but the 80 Z28 I have as well.............I removed the undercoating to reveal a beautiful underbody. It is some dirty BS work, but the value it will bring it certainly worth the effort. There are plenty of people on this site that have spent the time to do the same thing and as a result, there is tons of great info and advice to be had.

If you were to look up Norcam & NJSteve's threads, you'll see great advice for products and procedures to deal with the undercoating, to say nothing for surface rusted components.

One my favorite threads is this...........................
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79126

Of course, the is Greame's (Norcam) thread...........
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157610

This is a great one for dissolving rust................
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155303

Hope this helps,
Tim
Helps a ton Tim. I had a 71 Camaro that had the same undercoating treatment and I did take the time to get it back to that original red oxide primer and it looked great. That will be part of the longer term plan. As for the tank, I was talking to someone about it and they indicated that the ethanol could have reacted with the old fuel and created the driveability issue. Truth is it ran prior to introducing new fuel and it likely either created some toxic mess or dislodged debris (or both). The plan is to replace everything though I will keep the parts and send the tank out for possible repair so I have it. As you said, no sense in putting a band aid on a problem that can resurface down the road when the parts are available to ensure that it is clean throughout the system.
Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to daleone3 For This Useful Post:
napa68 (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 09:26 PM

Get the tank cleaned out and have them seal it, should be fine after that. I did it a while back and so did a buddy of mine, his tank was worse than mine. No issues the last 19 years.