Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 PM

Default Re: 67 GTO

Trunk area, special OEM dk blue w/ grey fleck spatter paint application
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2009, 10:44 PM

factory overspray patterns duplicated exactly as documented upon disassembly....let me know if you guys want more detail shots.

Mike Mancini
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 PM

Mike, Thanks for posting your informative and interesting photos.

1) Evidently the 67 GTO at that plant receieved TWO(red & then black)underfloor primers or was the red oxide extra on your part??????

2) Some shops paint the bottom first, do intentional body color overspray and then "bag" the bottom off at the pinch welds while painting the exterior. I'm interested to know if the GTO had body color spray on the underfloor ??? , and if so how/when will you apply it

3) What trunk spray paint product/process are you using ????
Do you regard this product as replicating the OEM look, or is it just "your" look ?????????

4) When you paint the body with doors on, have you cut in the door edges, bottom first ???? or do ALL door paint with doors installed????

5) Can you list brand/product name of primer, base coat, clear coat. Do you try to achieve an old school laquer look ??? or NEW car VERY SHINY look???????

6) Would like to see have rotator graabs back of body so as to allow room to paint ?????

Thanks,
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 AM

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the response. We tried to restore this car as true to the original process as possible. Extensive documentation of this particular car was done prior to any paint removal.
There were different color primer-surfacers used by the different plants. I have seen grey, red oxide and black.

When investigating the underside of this car, we revealed from outside-in 1)Black (blackout lacquer), some traces of Tyrol blue overspray surrounding edges of body, red oxide primer-surfacer and finally bare metal.
The vehicle was re-finished in this same sequence, from bare metal it was sprayed inside and out with red-oxide primer-surfacer and after final bodywork, it was given another coat of the red oxide primer-surfacer and then color. I use PPG products exclusivly and opted for 3 full coats of basecoat and then a 4th dusting of base. We then applied 4 coats of clear coat.
I should note that it took a good deal of work to achieve a correct representation of the factory tyrol blue. There were several hidden areas of perfect original paint on this car. We used these samples to achieve a perfect color match. If you order PPG Tyrol blue by code, it is not correct. Using a spectrophotometer, we analyzed the original paint samples and came up with a formula. When sprayed out, the color wasn't right. After several experiments of spraying over differnt color primers, we found that the paint was a dead match when applied over the factory red oxide primer. What you see is a true representation of factory Tyrol Blue.
While I do like the factory orange peel paint jobs, I really wanted this cars paint to be like glass. We wet sanded the car starting with 800, 1000, 1200, 2000, 2500 final.

At the factory this body would have gone through multiple stages in the paint department. After the bare metal body goes through the phosphating and prepping process, it is sprayed inside and out with primer surfacer. On this car that color was red oxide. The last step is the firewall and undercarriage blackout which is a lacquer product. The black you see is not a primer-surfacer.
You can see the process I followed was primer-surfacer, color and final blackout.
Prior to color, the bottom was not masked. The blue overspray over the red oxide occured during final paint. (although, it was masked prior to clear coating so as not to react with the blackout product)
I did post a pic showing the blue oversray on the undercarriage prior to blackout, maybe you missed it.
This car originally had a blue w/ grey spatter painti in the trunk. They do not make such a product and so we created this effect ourselves. It was a 2 step process. The final outcome looked just like the original spatter paint we documented.
I paint the body with the doors installed. I do not jamb the car first. We just spray a little base coat behind the hinges and then paint the door and jambs during the paint process.
The rotisserie out of the box created virtually no room for between the tail panel. We made extensions to allow sufficient room for body work and paint.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help.

Mike Mancini
Old 01-17-2009, 05:26 AM

Thanked 1,407 Times in 675 Posts

Mike, thanks for the detail, interesting stuff and your work is impressive.
John 10:30
Old 01-17-2009, 04:09 PM

looks great, i wish i had taken the body off on mine but i only have a two car garage to work in, mine is a low mileage car with no rust so it didnt need alot but under my car isnt detailed the way i would like it,
Old 01-17-2009, 04:33 PM

Thanked 5,369 Times in 1,882 Posts

It looks awesome. You should be proud of your work!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 AM

Thanks so much for the kind words. This stuff is a true passion, I love every bit of it. If anyone has any other questions about the car just ask.
Thanks again,
Mike Mancini
Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Nice work!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:01 AM

Thanks!!