Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 09-11-2015, 07:18 PM

Default Paint

Thinking about getting my 1970 W-31 painted, but looking for a deal(paint is good just want to put it back to original color) would love to do it myself but just do not have the time. By chance does anyone know someone who maybe does work on the side? I live south of Chicago Bolingbrook IL.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 46024.jpg 46023.jpg 46021.jpg 46020.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-11-2015, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Paint

You'll most likely get what you pay for.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,492 Times in 1,247 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L78steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'll most likely get what you pay for. </div></div>

Ditto.

I spent my entire growing up years having stuff painted by &quot;friends&quot; which meant a discount price but being stuck in &quot;paint shop jail&quot; due to their timing.

Now as a somewhat prosperous middle aged male I just spend the money and have it professionally done. That way I can dictate the timing and come down hard when they don't meet my expectations.

I recommend a trial run, taking some smaller parts to a local shop and seeing how responsive they are, before giving them the whole car.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 09-14-2015, 03:23 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L78steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'll most likely get what you pay for. </div></div>

You'll most likely pay a lot more than what you will get or have planned to spend and have nothing but regrets having turned over your &quot;baby&quot; to someone who does not give a s**t about you or your car, promises the world he will do it right and then, lies &amp; more lies, enough to make a politician seem honest...good luck.

Sorry, for my little hiss-y-fit, not all folks are bad, we know. And, not all can be put in the same hole (pigeon hole). It is just that it has taken 4 years and 2 body guys and 10K and my car is still not painted! I feel like the biggest sucker to ever take on a restoration. Is it too much to ask for the work to be done right?
There are a few guys on this site that, if I were you, or in my perfect hindsight I would have, I would just ship it off to them and tell them to ship it back when done, nuff said.

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
Old 09-14-2015, 05:46 PM

That's why we at Mascar will not touch a classic car for a paint job for less then 30K, however, you will get a beautiful paint job in under 1 year! Guaranteed ....... However, our waiting list is at least 1 year [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] my advice, get a quote from some reputable, reviewed shops, get referrals, and insist on a contract [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

1970 Top Secret Very Special Muscle Car in restoration by MASCAR to be unveiled at MCACN 2020

Old 09-14-2015, 06:12 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's why we at Mascar will not touch a classic car for a paint job for less then 30K, however, you will get a beautiful paint job in under 1 year! Guaranteed ....... However, our waiting list is at least 1 year [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] my advice, get a quote from some reputable, reviewed shops, get referrals, and insist on a contract [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] </div></div>

Yikes I thought $10-$12k was expensive when I read that a lot of the Corvette guys spend in that neighborhood to get their classic 'Vettes repainted. I guess I'll have to live with my 20 footer.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

$30K for a paint job!!
Old 09-14-2015, 06:54 PM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

Don't ask how much but cannot agree enough, you get what you pay for! $30k is <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">VERY</span></span> reasonable especially if it includes bodywork and paint. This one took 18 months give or take but Tom likely did the best job he ever has on a car and it shows. Money well spent. If you want a $15k then do not complain when you compare it to others.
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 PM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

Is it just the outer paint we are talking or are we talking bodywork, sheet metal, firewall and floor pan and interior paint/primer? I can see just the outside costing less than $12k but not for a restoration. Here is a 4 year old basically outside bodywork and paint that cost $10k at that time. Customer got what they paid for. Looks good from 10 feet, not so perfect when close up. This included bodywork and two front fenders but no interior, floor pan or firewall/engine compartment.
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 09-15-2015, 01:37 AM

I guess it depends on what type of car, and it's eventual use, we're talking about. Does it make sense to put a $30k paint job on my $25k Corvette? Especially if I plan on driving and enjoying the car?
If I owned a Yenko or something worth six figures then I guess it makes sense as a quality paint job like that would only enhance the cars value.
I meant no offense by my comment about a $30k paint job; it's simply that I really had no idea that a nice paint job for a classic car could cost that much.