Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Why race your supercar

Rob is out of town for a couple of days, following a successful night at the track. He and a friend went to Test and Tune at Memphis last night, only to find the place packed, with both racers and spectators. He was afraid that he might not get to make very many passes, but ended up making a total of eight, all in the 12s. He even set his, and the cars, personal best of 12.799. On top of that, the car was a huge hit. After his first pass, and once the announcer and the crowd realized that there was a "real" Yenko Camaro atttending, Rob was swarmed by fellow racers and fans. He was barely able to tune the car between passes because of the attention the car was getting. Everyone was asking questions, with several taking pictures. He finally took shoe polish and wrote "its real" on the back window.

That is one of the neat things about owning/racing a Yenko, the attention it generates where ever you go. And, it allows the newer generation to see first hand what our cars and out hobby is all about. Believe me, racers of all ages have respect for any car that can run in the 12s in factory stock trim. It is one thing to debate whose/what car is faster on buliten boards, but a whole different game at the track.

In closing, I would encourage any one who owns a supercar to do the same. And, I am sure many of the guys who have raced at a SCR event would tell you the same. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img]
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-06-2003, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Why race your supercar

Way to go Rob !!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2003, 08:49 PM

Anyone with a matching number "Super Car" would be crazy drag racing it! Thats like an unrestored original, "its only original once" You blow part of your drive train, there goes your originality! I'm glad I got drag racing out of my system years ago! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img]
Old 06-06-2003, 09:05 PM

That's excellent!! The cars are super cool static, but man when they are doing what they were meant to do..."it's something else" (no pun inteaded Mr. Barnhart).

The best part of Reunion 5 for me was the day at the dragstrip. Same for all the sportsman competitors that lined the fences when the SCR cars staged and ran each other. I can't wait for this year!!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

ZL1 #49 (Dale, Waukesha WI) Super Stock restoration by SCW; 9561AA (Walters, Hebron OH) Super Stock motor by the Grump
Old 06-06-2003, 09:57 PM

Definitely 'Cool', one of these times Rob will look over and see a Gobi Beige Yenko Deuce [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 06-06-2003, 10:02 PM

Then why bother paying the big bucks for a big block supercar if not to drive/enjoy? If only to impress the judges at Super Chevy, a low HP car is a lot less expensive. The supercars (as well as all muslcecars) were built to perform, not show. Joel's guarantee was not "if people do not look at your car, I will refund your money, but a 11 second ET or your money back". Fred Gibb, Don Yenko and the others did not set out to create show cars.

The day I stop enjoying the brute force of my Yenkos will be the day I stop breathing (or at least I hope so). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And by the way, the original engine for our Camaro is being redone and hopefully will be installed in time for SCR6 and the Pure stock Drags.

And, I can not wait to see what it feels like to drop the hammer on our '69 427 Yenko Nova. Hopefully is is not a "lethal weapon" as Don was quoted as saying. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

WHY? You see, in reality, they (the cars) are only bunch of over priced sheetmetal. A blown engine, damaged sheetmetal, minor details. Anything on the cars, and if needed, a whole car, can be replaced. What IS important is enjoying life, including the cars. How many times on this board have we expressed our concerns over the untimely passing of some ones loved one. Now THAT is important. Even though I did not know the young man who lost his young son in a fire (another thread), I guarantee he would trade a whole stable of supercars to have his son back. Who wouldn't?

You see, I have almost been there. When Rob was 17, he flipped/totaled a very rare, numbers matching 1964 Corvette, which he and I had restored. He was ejected, landing in the middle of the road. My wife and I were called to the scene, which I will never forget. Ambulance, firetruck and wrecker lights flashing, people crowded around a back board which Rob was strapped to. Being around the funeral/ambulance buisness all my life had not prepared me for this. They loaded Rob in the ambulance, with my wife going along to the hospital with him. I was left to sort things out at the scene and then drive up. That is when things became real clear. Upside down in the middle of the road, in a million pieces, was what I once thought was everything, my "Vette. Not anymore. My everything was in the ambulance. Fortunantly, the good Lord took care of Rob that night, as after 8 days in the hospital, he left with only minor damage to a disk in his back and a lot of road rash.

So now, hopefully you see why I feel the way I do. I am simply honoring a deal I made that night, standing in the middle of the road, to cherish each and every moment I spend with my family and friends, doing the things we enjoy (including racing our supercars). You see, each second we get to do that is a gift from God, something that no amount of money can buy.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:23 AM

That was alright years ago before these cars became survivors and a important part of automobile history, I think it much better to try and preserve these cars than beat the snot out of them on a drag strip. My Opinion [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2003, 12:33 AM

The only one I haven't whipped the snot out of on the street is the Y Chevelle ! I took a friend outin the Camaro who never heard of a Yenko and beat hell out of it...he was a bit pale after that....and the Camaro is not even that quick...although it will beat Supercars' B/M car.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:49 AM

Well said Tom ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

* Drive it like you stole it ..... *

The reaction that Rob got at the track is worth its' weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. That's what memories are made of ...... Car show trophies are dust bunny magnets ...
Old 06-07-2003, 12:51 AM

Interesting topic guys,Ö. I used to buy stuff and horde it away and was afraid to use it because it was rare etcÖ, But now at 40 I lean towards the Use it take Darn good car of it, but enjoy it crowd.
My car is a 48K Orig piece with an old repaint that has seen better days, am I going to run her down the strip you bet! But the orig motor will be under the bench when that happens, everything else can be fixed if it gets hurt.
I have seen to many old friends in the trade that never did much because they were saving for the cabin or the motor home etc, then they dropped over one day at work or were diagnosed with Cancer and lost that battle before they reached there retirement and Goals.

Lifeís to short guys, save for retirement but enjoy life and do the things that you enjoy even if it costs a few bucks, we never know when our number is up!

I donít own a Supercar per say, but my take on the whole thing is there enough on display and locked away, there is no reason to not run some of them without fear of them becoming extinct.

Hot rubber at ya, Bud.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img]