Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 57 Nomad Project.........

Well !!!!..........I got another education today..........Got a call this morning at the shop from Coy........an Engineer from Holley........He wanted to know what and how everything transpired in my Dilemma...So.....I explained everything to him and how I felt the "O" ring was the cause of the issue.........O.K...He said !!.......I explained how I measured the tube and it was the same size as the Holley tube and since they were the same size I concluded that the smaller "O" was the issue.........He then asked if I still had the GM pick-up tube and was it tapered.........In my mind I was thinking a lead in style taper, .....And I measured the end and it measured .875 the same as the Holley tube........So....I told him I had it at home and I could measure it again and send him the info..........Humm!!!........When I get home I figured this was a waste of time, but.....I get it out and look at it a little closer.....

Wow.......Look at this .....When I looked at it originally the "O" Ring was on and I didn't notice the recessed taper area that the "O" ring sat in.........Hummm!!!!.........I called Coy back and explained what I found and what he already knew.........

When you measure the minor diameter and add the size of the larger "O" Ring vs the .875 dia of the Holley straight tube and the smaller ring.....The compression for the seal is exactly the same.........So.....My conclusion that the "O" ring was the problem was not correct........Holley had it figured out dimensionally correct........Sheesh !!!.......All that work for nothing.......but.......I still don't understand exactly what the issue was......So......Right now I have the larger "O" compressed into a space it really wasn't designed for......and......when I was talking to Coy I spun the engine over........"0" oil pressure.......Spun it over for about 20 seconds and Boom 50 lbs pressure.........So......If you have installed one of these pans.....don't worry about it.........Man.....what an Idiot .........This car stuff is hard............

And...........Congrat's to Holley for the follow up to bring that part of the issue to a logical conclusion...

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 03-01-2016, 01:47 PM

Thanked 1,382 Times in 671 Posts

Great customer service from Holley, and the craftsmanship on your Nomad is beautiful.
John 10:30
Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 PM

Got a lot of little stuff finished up.......Got the Air inlet tube finished up and got the Mass Air Flow sensor installed......Finished up the forward Light harness.......(Everything works)...........Just about finished the Fan Relays before having to go in and take a Nap..........

Old 03-02-2016, 01:18 AM

Looking forward to seeing another Kwhizz masterpiece at Mundelein

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 03-05-2016, 03:40 AM

Moving along.........Got the heater hoses installed and on to the part that is a real pain in the rear.....piecing together radiator hoses.........So.....I made some adaptors today matching the different upper hose sizes and then went to the auto parts store trying to visualize cutting sections out of hoses to get then to suit my application.......ended up being simpler than I expected.....I ordered a bunch of heat shrink hose clamps that will be here Monday so I can get them finished....Supercharger intercooler hoses are next........Getting closer......the adaptors are Aluminum Glass Beaded

Old 03-05-2016, 12:09 PM

On to the last major piece of the puzzle......Fuel System.......The Nomad has a major difference from the standard 55-57 Chevrolets........The Gas Tank........Because of the spare tire well in the Nomad.....the standard Gas Tank couldn't be used......so...GM used the space available and pretty much form fit a tank to fit........the easy option would have been to cut out the well and use a stock tank........I couldn't take the easy way out....LOL.......So......With the Nomad tank being much deeper than a stock tank, and using a stock GM LSA Fuel Pump.........some major issues popped up.......In my other conversions I had to shorten the overall length of the pumps to fit.......on this application I have to go the other way and lengthen the Pump and modify the tank to accept the new pump.........Stay Tuned......LOL

Old 03-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Love them adapters....very nice work [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 03-05-2016, 02:17 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Awesome stuff Ken! Wow!!!
Old 03-05-2016, 02:34 PM

You need to help NASA with their rocket program -- to hell with the Russians! TAZ
Old 03-05-2016, 03:32 PM

Ken, you found a way to fill that big open space in front of the rad support that always looked like a place for a spare tire. Looks great!