Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 01-05-2001, 02:36 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Yenko Camaro drag car

The ten gold cars are in the same group as the first ten yellow cars. O1B. All early VIN's, all X66 cars with the possible exception of one yellow car being an X11. The gold demo car was bought new by Ron Welsh in Pittsburgh and he raced it at PID hard in the 70,s. Car had a DANA 60, opened up rear wheel wells and a number of engine combos over the years. That is the way Cliff Ernst bought the car. He told me that when he took the car out for a drive the salesman told him that he had a wife and kids at home and not to do anything funny.
Also the stripes on the race car with the demo car are different in contour as the later Vitar ad. As race cars go they change their look often. Notice the Stahl decal is not in the later shot. It is interesting to note that the cross muffler is still in the original location in both rear shots of the car. A NHRA rule of the day I beleive...BKH

[Edited by bkhpah (01-04-2001 at 09:36 PM).]
Old 01-05-2001, 03:45 AM

Just to add one more peice of information to the mix, here is a clip supplied by Ray Morrison. Looks like Dick Harrel was involved with this car at some point too.

Old 01-05-2001, 04:41 AM

I think that picture is actually from Drag News and was posted with that caption in a later Camaro magazine and may be a little incorrect. By 1969 Harrell was involved with Fred Gibb and then flew his own colors. Wasn't the his involvement with Yenko earlier? Also I'm not sure the rearview shot is the Hedrick car as I think it retained the Yenko and 427 emblems and all pics I've seen of the Hedrick car carried #929. Maybe a Strickler car. Also I've got a video where reference is made to Jenkins having two '69 S/S Camaros with the Jenkins' Comp decals being different colors the only difference between the two. I've got a color picture taken of the Hedrick car sitting on a trailer with the Jenkins bunch at the '69 Cars meet at Cecil Co. and the Stahl decal has been moved to the sail panel.
Anybody know what happened to Hedrick's car? Wouldn't it be great to have it restored to it's race trim.
Old 01-05-2001, 05:13 AM

Copo69,
You are probably correct on both points. Since I was just a 10 year old kid living in Oregon back in 1969, I should probably post these clips with less of my own comments attatched.
Old 01-05-2001, 05:36 AM

bbdon, Don't apologize. I'm not sure if I'm correct either.... This is the way we get to the truth. Heck, I was all of 14 the summer of '69.