Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-07-2016, 05:57 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Top Day 2 Musclecars?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If engine swaps are allowed I want a Boss 351 Maverick. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img] </div></div>

That would be FUN! About 2900 lbs, right? Great engine, too.

Which brings me to my next point - if you were going to break this into different classes, what would it look like? Day 2 has different meanings to different folks, but there are a few different levels.

1. Day 0 - not a real class, but you start off with the same rules as Pure Stock Drags, so the PSD folks can easily run the below classes.

2. Day 2 - larger tires allowed, but no slicks. Larger wheels, too, of course. Slapper bars allowed. Headers allowed, along with free-flowing exhaust (limited to 2.5&quot; and mufflers that were available from '64-'71?).

3. Day 3 - Period correct slicks allowed. Gears can be deeper than what was factory available. Shift kits ok for auto trans and aftermarket shifters (period correct) for manual trans. Aftermarket cams ok as long as it's a grind available from 64-71. Period correct intake, ignition, and carb upgrades ok, but no holes in the hood. No machine work (porting, etc) on heads or short block. No body mods, no mini-tubs, no aftermarket hood scoops. Open headers ok.

4. Day 4 - Engine swaps allowed, but only something available from 64-71. Body mods allowed. Hood scoops allowed. Engine machine work allowed. Rear-end swaps allowed. Removing weight (back seat, etc), allowed. Hole in the hood allowed. Tunnel rams ok.

What did I miss?
Old 09-07-2016, 05:58 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: napa68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jimmy Addison's Silver Bullet would be a cool discussion.

Day 2,3,4..........

</div></div>

I've heard of the car, but not too familiar with it. Can you or someone else share the details?
Old 09-07-2016, 11:53 AM

It was a factory supported bench test for Chrysler back in the day. One of the most famous Hemi's ever to roam the streets of Detroit. VERY cool car, one of my favorite Mopar's

Bill
Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM

Got this off another site. 487-cubic-inch Hemi V-8 under the super stock hood scoop was equipped with a 4.25&quot; stroker crankshaft, oversize TRW pistons, Racer Brown camshaft, 10-quart oil pan and aluminum cylinder heads. Fuel was delivered to the twin Holley four-barrel carburetors via a Stewart Warner electric fuel pump, while Hooker headers directed exhaust to the four '68 Cadillac mufflers through 3&quot; pipes. Transfer of power to the M&amp;H drag slicks at the rear was achieved with a modified Torqueflite automatic transmission, while compliant front shock absorbers teamed with super stock rear springs to achieve the desired rearward weight transfer. The &quot;Bullet&quot; in full street trim could cover the quarter mile in 10.50 seconds at a speed of 132 mph.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:24 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulletpruf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If engine swaps are allowed I want a Boss 351 Maverick. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img] </div></div>

Which brings me to my next point - if you were going to break this into different classes, what would it look like? Day 2 has different meanings to different folks, but there are a few different levels.

1. Day 0 - not a real class, but you start off with the same rules as Pure Stock Drags, so the PSD folks can easily run the below classes.

2. Day 2 - larger tires allowed, but no slicks. Larger wheels, too, of course. Slapper bars allowed. Headers allowed, along with free-flowing exhaust (limited to 2.5&quot; and mufflers that were available from '64-'71?).

3. Day 3 - Period correct slicks allowed. Gears can be deeper than what was factory available. Shift kits ok for auto trans and aftermarket shifters (period correct) for manual trans. Aftermarket cams ok as long as it's a grind available from 64-71. Period correct intake, ignition, and carb upgrades ok, but no holes in the hood. No machine work (porting, etc) on heads or short block. No body mods, no mini-tubs, no aftermarket hood scoops. Open headers ok.

4. Day 4 - Engine swaps allowed, but only something available from 64-71. Body mods allowed. Hood scoops allowed. Engine machine work allowed. Rear-end swaps allowed. Removing weight (back seat, etc), allowed. Hole in the hood allowed. Tunnel rams ok.

What did I miss? </div></div>

My thinking is similar to yours. I've always thought of Day 2 as something like Pure Stock + slicks and headers.

The problem is that everyone's definition is going to vary. For example, I know of an 84 Hurst/Olds that was bought new and immediately driven home from the dealership and &quot;re-powered&quot; with a 350 out of a 70 W-31 Cutlass. I know 1984 is outside the timeframe we're discussing, but it does illustrate the fact that there's going to be serious disagreement over what constitutes true Day 2.

The other problem is creating unstoppable combinations (like my cousin's 351C powered 71 Pinto, for example). Making swaps &quot;Day 4&quot; helps, but it's still a tough one. The streets are pretty tough these days, but with a 1971 cutoff for speed parts, cars like the Cleveland Pinto mentioned above turn into class killers. His car is basically a circa-mid 70's Pro Stocker with a license plate, and while I firmly believe in the old adage &quot;there's always someone faster&quot;, there's no doubt a 351 Pinto is going to be near the top of the food chain.

I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:00 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billohio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got this off another site. 487-cubic-inch Hemi V-8 under the super stock hood scoop was equipped with a 4.25&quot; stroker crankshaft, oversize TRW pistons, Racer Brown camshaft, 10-quart oil pan and aluminum cylinder heads. Fuel was delivered to the twin Holley four-barrel carburetors via a Stewart Warner electric fuel pump, while Hooker headers directed exhaust to the four '68 Cadillac mufflers through 3&quot; pipes. Transfer of power to the M&amp;H drag slicks at the rear was achieved with a modified Torqueflite automatic transmission, while compliant front shock absorbers teamed with super stock rear springs to achieve the desired rearward weight transfer. The &quot;Bullet&quot; in full street trim could cover the quarter mile in 10.50 seconds at a speed of 132 mph. </div></div>

Definitely a Day 4 car.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:05 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulletpruf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If engine swaps are allowed I want a Boss 351 Maverick. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img] </div></div>

What did I miss? </div></div>

My thinking is similar to yours. I've always thought of Day 2 as something like Pure Stock + slicks and headers.

The problem is that everyone's definition is going to vary. For example, I know of an 84 Hurst/Olds that was bought new and immediately driven home from the dealership and &quot;re-powered&quot; with a 350 out of a 70 W-31 Cutlass. I know 1984 is outside the timeframe we're discussing, but it does illustrate the fact that there's going to be serious disagreement over what constitutes true Day 2.

The other problem is creating unstoppable combinations (like my cousin's 351C powered 71 Pinto, for example). Making swaps &quot;Day 4&quot; helps, but it's still a tough one. The streets are pretty tough these days, but with a 1971 cutoff for speed parts, cars like the Cleveland Pinto mentioned above turn into class killers. His car is basically a circa-mid 70's Pro Stocker with a license plate, and while I firmly believe in the old adage &quot;there's always someone faster&quot;, there's no doubt a 351 Pinto is going to be near the top of the food chain.

I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud. </div></div>

Everyone's definition of Day 2 will indeed be different. But once you agree on a set of rules, that's what you have to work with.

351C in a Pinto would indeed but tough to beat, but I don't think it would necessarily rule the roost. Lots of other combo's out there with a lightweight car to start with -- Vega, Chevy II, Maverick, etc.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:22 AM

Addison's Mopar had backing from Chrysler so while a cool beast, I can't really throw that car into this discussion. Possibly the baddest street car ever (in OUR terms of street car; not the silly Hot Rod magazine thing), but hardly attainable by the average Joe.
And so far BIG has made the most profound statement of this discussion......Stay away from Summit!!!
Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 PM

'64 A864 street Hemi aluminum nose sedan from either Plymouth or Dodge if you're talking strictly Day 2 mods of shifter / shift kit and the 3 T's - tach / tires / tune. They already had 4.56 gears. Take off 4-bolts to uncap the factory &quot;manifold's&quot; and in the right hands would be a hard to beat car.
[email protected] PSMCDR 9/14
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 quad black
14.36@92 Factory Stock division of F.A.S.T.
**SOLD** 1970 Road Runner Superbird 440-6 4spd EB5
Old 09-08-2016, 04:11 PM

Like I said earlier, BB Vega with &quot;period&quot; parts will be the car to beat! Motion had a 454 Vega &quot;offered&quot; in 1970/1971 before &quot;the man&quot; stopped them.

So you start with what could be an 800+Hp BBc into a Vega? Then there are so many other factors that 99% of the people never think of? But guys like myself and my friend, when it comes to heads up racing, go that extra to get ever .001&quot; of a second? So what happens when you got a guy that has THE WILL, THE DOLLARS AND THE SMARTS to do whatever it takes to be the top dog. My friend, Butch Kemp is a perfect example. NA10.5 or Ultra Street SB ON MOTOR that can run 4.72 LAST YEAR. He does whatever it takes to make sure that he has done his homework and prepared to the best of his ability once that car come to the line.

We also had another guy. His DAD wanted to run 8.90 INDEX in the local series. He went out and bought him a CURRENT NHRA Pro Stock roller from Kenny Kuretsky and a new 572 GM crate motor. $75,000.00 ROLLER to run 8.90 and win $1,000.00??? 2 weeks before he got the roller, Kenny was running it in Pro Stock.

Heads up will also be a very tough and therefore expensive class, not matter what people say. And the more rules, the more the cost goes up.
'70 W30 convert TRIBUTE
'70 CANADIAN Nova SS396 L78 Pro Street
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'69 FIREBIRD Tubbed Racecar
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)