Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Barrett Jackson.....

In years past, I had seen footage of Amy putting her hands
on potential bidders. No one complained about that. Oh,
perhaps a wife or two....
Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Yenko Paid Member

[ QUOTE ]
The buyer told me the seller would not talk to him about documentation.

[/ QUOTE ] If he had it, why wouldnt he talk about it??? Im sure if it was a legit car it would certainly never go for 60K . Nor would the seller let it go for 60K when it previously did almost 300K. Cmon....
Old 01-23-2007, 07:57 AM

I too spent the weekend in Arizona.I spent wednesday and thursday at Barretts and Friday at RM and again Saterday at the circus/Barretts.Wed and Thurs nothing but junk period. Friday I got a lesson in Class and professionalism at RM and Saterday was incredible. First of all It seemeed like someone had called the used car hemi factory and placed the largest order in history for Hemi cars. I believe they ran 29 hemi cuda;s It looked like a clearence sale., but still I have to say for the 70;s hemi cuda;s the prices were very consistant and quite strong. Most of them sold for betwwen $240000 and $260000 plus the juice except for some 74 mile survivor that went for $500000 a 70 roadrunner coupe went for $210000 while a 70 roadrunner convert only brought $200000 a hemi 4-door brought $600000 being a one of three, which I thought was incredible later in the day is when things seemed to go South for our mossed prized 71 hemi cuda;s two went off'' not really the two of the best examples so it is really hard to gauge the market by these. A 4-speed $480000 and auto non build board plain jane ev2 $375000 plus the juice. In my opinion the worst thing is that they saved some of the best mopars for after ten oclock when nobody was left there so again impossible to gauge the market a Hemi Daytona and Superbird which they made the owner package $790000 plus.The one thing I can say is it was obvious something seemed to be going on with very fast hammering on some cars being sold and alot of odd retractions on bids on others that made you have to wonder who the bidders and buyers these cars were comming from and going too''In my opionion any one who didn;t do well here had only Barrett and themselves to blame.Anyone who would take there more than $200000 plus mopars and let these people run it a no reserve shows you don;t have enough respect in these cars yourself., and letting them run so many on you shows they have no respect for these cars or you as a client.The thing Barretts doesn;t get is the cars are the Stars not the Venue, and the TV they think they are what brings the prices and the people you and your cars have nothing to do with it. Steve Davis didn;t take his sun glasses off the whole day and night Saterday. I think He thinks He;s Steve McQeen'' Not Steve Davis. this is a going to be a very hard lesson for some of these guys who didn;t do well, but NEVER place a RARE and DESIRABLE MOPAR in SUCH a NO RESERVE CIRCUS like that again because you and Barretts Hurt the market the CARS and the reputation of RARE CAR COLLECTING in General By the Way RM SOLD the 71 Hemi Cuda convertible with reserve for 2.2 Million plus the juice On Friday. Barretts also sold a GTO RAM 1V Judge White and Black 4- speed very well documented but the owner who was honest with every one and said the car had been completely replaced from the cowl back by a dooner GTO Still sold for $117000 plus the juice
Old 01-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Carroll Shelby hung the moon but his reputation ain't all that swell either. <----somebody had to say it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was shortly after the boom started, maybe late 80's or early 90's CS claimed to have found 10 or so Cobra's or Shelby Mustangs in a warehouse that were never completed. I owned a '66 Shelby Must. at the time and was a member of the (just found my Shelby American World Registry hardback dated 1987) Shelby American Automobile Club. I recall that incident causing quiet a stink with these guys as it devalued (or would have) their cars and made their "hero" look like a first class crook.

I recall CS and the club being very close prior to that incident but you don't see the SAAC and CA arm in arm anymore. At least I don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the answer Ray.

I remember a dust-up over the coil-spring Cobra frames with "unassigned" VIN numbers that were found--maybe that's the same situation you described.

Please pardon me if I've misunderstood the situation, but I would have no problem at all if Shelby had found stored cars or parts and wanted to sell them as real. Yeah, I guess it'd be a bummer if such a find de-valued my Shelby* but such is life. Is Shelby supposed to destroy such finds in order to preserve the value of other people's Shelby cars? If Joel Rosen found a dozen Phase III '69 Camaros in storage that he had forgotten about would he have to keep them in storage or destroy them so as to preserve the value of existing cars in other people's ownership? Not trying to pick a fight, I'm just curious as to why it's a problem for Shelby to come up with continuation cars/parts, no matter how he came up with them. I mean, it's his name and his cars and his design and his legend. Without Carroll Shelby all those SAAC guys would be collecting some other car--and perhaps crying foul over the actions of whoever invented it.

Carroll Shelby has had his Cobra image stolen for profit for decades. Think of all the kit Cobra rip-offs over the past 30 years and Shelby had to fight them all over trademark rights and name rights. I don't begrudge him for his defense of his name and the design of his cars. Maybe he went along with what some people feel is a shady deal but much worse has been perpetrated against Shelby over the years. I don't look at Carroll Shelby as having "hung the moon" but he sure as hell beat Ferrari's ass in 1965. For that alone he is a real American hero in my book.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

*I don't own a Shelby product. Wish I did!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I just went back to the spring Mecum auction and found the L89 Chevelle that sold there. I was misinformed the car at Mecum had white interior with a white stripe.
69 L78 Nova
69 L34 Nova
67 SS Chevelle
73 Trans Am
Old 01-23-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't look at Carroll Shelby as having "hung the moon" but he sure as hell beat Ferrari's ass in 1965. For that alone he is a real American hero in my book.
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
*I don't own a Shelby product. Wish I did!

[/ QUOTE ]

99% would agree !!! A true legend
Old 01-23-2007, 04:37 PM

This was my first, and probably last, trip to BJ. I was not that impressed with the cars as I could not really get close to them since I was not a bidder. I do have to admit that it was worth the price of admission just to see the women. Never seen so many young, attractive females hanging all over so many old geezers, wonder what the attraction was??
Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,386 Posts

All the cars are parked under various tents for public viewing during the week, with a few exceptions. They are also viewable in the staging lanes as they enter the auction tent. A thorough inspection of vehicles is not pratical however.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 01-23-2007, 05:03 PM

I did not see any documentation and the buyer did not see any. So I do not know if it even exsits. The buyer knew nothing about Chevelles or the car. He like it and when the bidding droped from 70k to 60k he decided to jump in. He also was from FL and knew the seller (buy back?). He wanted know about any books to help him learn more and indicated he wanted to keep it. For the condition of the car it seemed like a good buy. It had some issues and I am no expert, but they were minor.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM

CJ - Being very interested in those cars 20 years ago and a member of the Shelby club and all that goes with that 'Blue Oval' to the core bunch, I remember things that I can't prove w/o some research BUT....CS was caught with his hand in the cookie jar more than once. The so-called missing Cobras, may have been some Mustangs too, was proven to be a scam which CS was intimately involved.

Just like people now build bogus, clone, recreation,
whatever you call them, Yenkos, people wanted Cobras. CS tried to stop them all and when he couldn't evidently wanted what amounted to extortion rather than a reasonable fee.

Remember that was 20 year ago. No Internet and no Google. This is what I remember from the newsletters of the day.
I do recall at the time the real owners absolutely hated the copycats. Visceral hatred. That may have changed. Would be interesting to know.