Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 11-11-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Have a Safe Veterns Day folks

(Stolen from Team Camaro/Thanks Al)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-11-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Have a Safe Veterns Day folks

So many have given far more then we can EVER realize... even if they "only" served for a year or two... it all depends on what they were immersed into. I thank everyone of you with all of my being.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:10 AM

With the Holiday Season approaching, lets keep our Troops in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:13 AM

From one trooper here... thanks for remembering our vets. There are many who have come home to live a quiet "normal" life after witnessing the most grotesque things and experiencing the most horrifying moments in their life. So the next time you see a vet, tell them thanks, and then if you have the time, ask them to tell you a story or two... I'm sure most would oblige.

I spent my lunch hour in the local War Museum because they offered a free lunch to veterans today. I sat across the table from a Vietnam veteran and a WWII airborne veteran who parachuted into Normandy on D-day and fought all the way through Europe to Berlin. We shared some very interesting stories with each other and even a few hilarious ones. (yes, even war can bring out some of the funniest moments in your life!) As we all parted ways at the end of lunch, I extended my hand across the table to the WWII vet and told him "Thank you" for his service. Perplexed, he looked at me with a question mark on his face, asked me if that's what I'd said, to which I replied with a smile, "Can't one veteran thank another veteran for his service?" With that, he shook my hand and then began to weep. I did too. We never said a word after that. I left, and fought back tears all the way back to work. It was as if he'd never been told "Thank you" by one of his peers... I know personally, if another vet tells me thank you, it means something a little more. It's that "Warrior Spirit"... that unspoken communication from someone else who's been there and lived through similar hardships in combat. I'm glad that I spent lunch with the vets... it was an honor to be in their presence. The older vets from WWII are dieing at am alarming rate per day and I want to get to know them and learn their stories before it's too late and some of their legacy is lost.

As fate would have it, I will be headed back to the MiddleEast -- to Afghanistan this time -- around the middle of next month. As you keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers, could you say a little extra one for my family? This second tour is going to rough on them... particularly the kids.

Thanks again to all the veterans reading this and thank you for your service to this great nation of ours.

Ken Mahoy, MSgt - USAF

P.S. One of our great "freedoms" I enjoyed this past year was attending the drag race at the SuperCar Reunion. Yes, I actually was there, but only said Hi to Rob because he is the only one I ran into that I knew... if you saw a mystery fellow walking around in a grey "Air Force" shirt and blue baseball cap, that was me. Take care... cya on the flipside...

Old 11-12-2004, 09:31 AM

That's a great story. The WWII vets time is passing, America's "Greatest Generation" was our Dads and Grand-dads. Not to forget teh many women who served as well.
Ken, thanks for protecting our freedom. Stay safe and hurry back home!
-Sam
Old 11-12-2004, 06:54 PM

Wow.......

Thanks Ken and all of the other Vets that protect our freedoms!
Old 11-13-2004, 02:09 AM

Watched my daughter's 3rd grade Veteran's Day program last night...the sheer simplicity of it: the principles this country was founded on as well as those who have protected it (and still do). Kinda put it all in perspective...
Old 11-13-2004, 04:20 AM

Very touching Ken...you'll have some prayers going out from Canada for you and your family also

1996 Carrera & 1993 Fat Boy