PDA

View Full Version : engine vin #'s

Mr. T
10-21-2003, 10:40 PM
I am currently helping a buddy of mine rebuild his engine from a 69 Camaro. I have located the engine code numbers on the engine pad with no problem. They read VO8I4FL, which tells me that this car should have a Turbo 350 behind it, which it does.
Unfortunatley this car was built past the midway point for 69 Camaro's, when they moved the alternator from the drivers side to the passenger side. In doing this, they had to move the vin# from the engine pad to the rough casting located by the oil filer, so they could stamp it.
This is all dandy, except that I can in no way read the numbers stamped on that rough casting. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, is there any easy way to get these numbers.
Just because the engine code says that this engine belongs in front of a Turbo 350, doesn't mean that it is the orginal engine for this car. It could have been in another vehicle with a Turbo 350. Aside from 69 Camaro's, where there any other Chevrolet models that had this FL engine code? Just want to make sure before I tear this engine down for him that the Vin # on the engine matches the vin on the car. Any advice? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Jonesy
10-22-2003, 03:26 AM
All 69 Camaros had the alternator on the passenger side. They did not change that mid year.

FL = 327/210 w/turbo 350

Is 3932386 casting number on the back of the block?

The best way to read the numbers by the oil filter is to take and press a piece of clay and the look at the depression it made. I have seen them better that way. Also if it is a August of 1968 block, I would think the VIN would be stamped on the pad behind the alternator.

Mr. T
10-22-2003, 03:46 AM
I just read a very detailed history of the 69 Camaro, and it stated that the engine vin #'s were moved because the alternator was moved to the passenger side after mid 69 production. I have two 69's, and both vins are down by the oil filter, and they were built after Aug of 68.

clay eh? Good thinking, will have to get out my playdoe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think that will help me out big time! Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Jeff H
10-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Try putting some white paint on the area where the VIN is stamped and then wipe it back off. It will stay in the stamping and you'll be able to read it then.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-22-2003, 12:45 PM
That's a good question, why did the Camaro's get the vin stamped down by the oil filter? The Novas have the alt on the passenger side and they have the vin stamped on the pad with the engine assy date and app code. Did the Novas get stamped before the alt was installed, I didn't think so, but maybe?

JoeC
10-22-2003, 01:23 PM
It may have been more of a theft preventative measure as it is more difficult to change a number stamped into rough casting then on smooth engine pad

Salvatore
10-22-2003, 01:37 PM
The way I understand it is that the Norwood Plant was getting frustrated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.giftrying to stamp VIN'S on the pad after the alternator was installed. Maybe the LA. Plant assembled the cars a little different. Some say that there are April of 1969 (LA.) cars with the VIN still on the pads. Norwoood started the oil filter stampings around Jan. 1969. It is really a crap shoot at times. Sam

TimG
10-22-2003, 06:30 PM
These VIN's by the oil filter are so hard to read. I have looked at these with an engine out of a car and they are so faint that I can't imagine the authorities using this as a method of proving an engine was stolen.

Mark_C
10-22-2003, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FL = 327/210 w/turbo 350

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the the FL code is for a 327/210 (LF7) and the car was made after 1/1/69, if I'm reading the made more than halfway through the 1969 production comment correctly, don't bother worrying about it being the original engine because it isn't. The LF7 was replaced with the 307/200Hp on that date. No 327's in Camaros of any kind after 1/1/69. 327's continued to be used in full size cars for a while after 1/1/69.

Mr. T
10-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Mark_C

Here are some numbers for the 69 Camaro engine I am rebuilding.
Built date on cowltag - 09E
Casting number on back of engine - 3932386
Engine Code: V08I4FL
With these numbers and by what my book says, it is a 327-210 hp engine with a Turbo 350.

Mark_C
10-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Yes, it is an LF7, and the car was built within 6 weeks of the start of production of the 69 model year. Last week of September, first week of October 1968. 09E overlaps the end of calendar September into the first week of October. Seem's like a bit high of a spread (5 weeks) between engine assembly and car build, but possible. Partial VIN should probably have been on the pad. But LA switched from the pad to back of the block around October, and then switched back to the pad after the first of the year. So it could be the original engine.

The later half of the production year comment thru me. Production in LA ran from August 68 to June 69 with almost a 2 month UAW strike April 19th to June 5th.

Mr. T
10-23-2003, 12:17 AM
Since it is a LF7, now all I have to do is to compare the partial vin # on the engine with the vin on the car, to see if it is definately the original engine. I guess it could be possible that this engine came out of another 69 Camaro/327 (210 hp), after the original one was taken out for some reason, but I don't think so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

Jonesy
10-23-2003, 05:23 AM
I have a 2nd week of Nov car and it's on the pad. LA car.

[ QUOTE ]
I just read a very detailed history of the 69 Camaro, and it stated that the engine vin #'s were moved because the alternator was moved to the passenger side after mid 69 production

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know what book you got your info from, but all 1969 Camaros had the alternator on the passenger side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Mark_C
10-23-2003, 12:30 PM
First we need to keep the response to this thread in one forum, as different people are providing info that could be relative in each of the two forums it is in now.

That said, since the LF7 was the base V8 engine for a Camaro, chances are very good that that engine in the car is the original one. The assembly date is within an acceptable time frame from the build date of the car, and not many people would try to clone an LF7 car and worry about casting or assembly dates. It's not like it's a Z28, or L89 car where there are huge dollars involved with having an original drivetrain in the car.

Mr. T
10-24-2003, 12:14 AM
Even if it is just a LF7 car, it matters to me that it is the original engine. I have owned it for more than 20 years and it means a great deal to me that it is 100% original and has all matching numbers. Some people wouldn't give a damn, but I do!

Mr. T
10-24-2003, 12:20 AM
Actually I love it just the way it is, as much as my other 69, (ragtop). It was my first car I purchased in high school. It is one of the nicest LF7's you will ever find, all original, and I have been offered many times a very healthy sum for it! It has never been abused or customized, that's when you loose top dollar when that is done. Original is the only way to go! I have the build sheets and all the previous owners names for my 69's, which isn't an easy task to accomplish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Jeff H
10-24-2003, 12:42 AM
Nice! What it comes down to is if you enjoy your car then that's what really matters. Holding onto a car that long is pretty amazing. I change my daily driver pretty often just because I get bored of what I'm driving. I also tend to modify all my vehicles, so keeping something stock is also amazing. Heck, I modified my 13' Boston Whaler Rage jet boat with some of the Yamaha jet ski parts(exhaust, high compression head, carb jetting, ignition).

Mr. T
10-24-2003, 01:07 AM
Jeff H

Thanks for the kind words! I guess we all come from different schools of thought, and that includes 69 Camaro's. I am an original guy, always have been, and you are a customized kind of guy, which is cool in it's own right! It's up to the owner to decide what is done and what isn't done to these classics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif