View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 08:26 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,097 Times in 208 Posts
Default Need your advice/opinions for my 67 Camaro project.

UPDATE I Have made a decision on the direction of my car thank you all! The location of the build is now here
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160535

Hello everyone, I picked up my 67 in 2014 before getting married and starting a family. After being a lurker here for a while I joined yenko.net and immediately feel at home here with you all. This may be a long winded post I apologize.

A few things about my car:
LOS Vin 118, Body #70, 3tree L6

My original build thread is located here at camaros.net but I think I will continue my build here and just post progress photos to my original build thread.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/133-b...7-red-red.html

Originally I thought I was going to do an LS swap but I realized a classic small block with a 4 speed would be so much cooler.

Originally I thought I was going have the car painted Red with black stripes but realized that the original paint scheme on the outside would be the right choice I'd be happy with in the long run. (Base paint Bolero Red with Z21 white pinstripe)

I then thought that I would swap it for a black interior but now I'm having second thoughts on that as well.

My last vision for my car was to have the exterior of the car look all original, and a black Yenko inspired interior with black deluxe seat belts (not original) and z23 headliner molding (not original) with Vintage Air AC and drill holes in the original dash to put factory ac vents. I would run c6 corvette base brakes, ridetech front suspension/tru turn to make it handle excellent but retain an original look on the inside and outside.

But.... I can't run anything smaller than a 17" rim, and I'm realizing I love old school period correct 15" wheels. Who am I going to "fool" when you see the huge corvette calipers and rotors all the way around?

Why would I run modern hi performance suspension to go fast and handle well but not put in modern hi performance safety features (cage, seats, etc)

Long story short I do not want my Camaro to have an identity crisis and I think that's where I am at now so I need your guidance and opinion.

I regret the minitub I finished on the LH side and it's why I haven't done the RH side yet. (would that be a period correct mod?)

I'm at the point now where I think I want to sell all the modern expensive aftermarket bells and whistles for my car and either leave the original drums or find a period correct front disk brake setup and build a Day 2 1967 Camaro that was originally a 6cylinder/3on the tree. I think I may even want to leave the original column in (shift handle removed) so people know it was a 3 on the tree and they can see the 4 on the floor shifter.

A few hard points:
I do not want to make a clone (correct term) or tribute (politically correct term) car No SS badges no Z28 stripes, and absolutely no Spoiler ever. And in fact I thought about how cool it would look to put back the original 230 emblems on the fenders instead of V flags.

I do not want a 6cylinder car.

I do want to run a sbc (I have one) or bbc 4 speed

I want my car to be authentic.

As you can tell I'm increasingly leaning toward something I feel would be Authentic. Please give me your ideas and opinions on the direction of my build to make my build authentic, classic, and thus timeless. This by no means is a factory restoration as I do not want a 6cylinder or 3 on the tree or 10 bolt but I hope you get the idea. Would a period correct sleeper be authentic? What would you do if you could build my car?

Please help me out friends!

-Jose

67 Camaro L78

Last edited by jbtech; 04-11-2020 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typos, update
The Following User Says Thank You to jbtech For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (04-09-2020)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 2.net.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...