Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,255 Times in 352 Posts
Default Re: E-Bay '69 Yenko Disguised As a Z-28 Clone!

I've been pretty transparent here Tom - I need to speak to you anyhow because your name came up in another discussion regarding this car. I'll PM you my number. Heck - there are no secrets here. I hope that I didn't offend you by relating the "Nam" story. If I did, I appologize. You've helped me by providing the old photos - I owe you!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vfitom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would be best if you PMed me the info. Sorry. </div></div>

I would not PM anyone any info that included another persons (third party) name. Especially if that person requesting the info had not filled out their user profile completely. Sorry.
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]
But nobody wanted to hear from me anyhow. Nevermind.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bergy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been pretty transparent here ... </div></div>

Quite true, this has been an interesting thread - would love to hear more about what your research has turned up.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 PM

One thing that it turned up Marlin, is that you have told me that you had no personal knowledge about your &quot;title in an envelope&quot; statement. You even told me that it's quite possible that if an offer for such a sale was made &quot;10 years ago&quot;, it's quite possible that the vin was not, in fact, off of the car. I'm just like you Marlin - just trying to get the whole story here.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:54 PM

I meant to say &quot;car in an envelope&quot; - sorry
Old 11-04-2010, 07:22 PM

&quot;Yenko in the Envelope&quot; post for interested followers :

....This is very true, and literally happened right here in PA just a few short years ago. A guy now has a nice looking Yenko Camaro, (albeit a rebody), with a repop TT, a restamped firewall, and no VIN plate because the guy with the original body trumped!

Bergy, I'm not trying to try your patience, nor do I consider you a rookie in this hobby - you've been around a while! But, the way you packaged your purchase and plans brings de ja vu to many of us. The recollection that the firewall in the car is from another car wrecked by a logging truck is interesting, but does nothing to prove/disprove this car as a rebody. <span style="font-weight: bold">When someone is offered a Yenko in an envelope,</span> and then it shows up a few years later as a full blown car - without the TT and the firewall stampings, it screams rebody (and a lousy one at that!).

If you think there is a story in that car, break it down, blast the body, look for the rebody vs. original body and go from there. I would love to be wrong on this one, even it is a definite rebody - I'd still save the thing, just need to call it like it is. [/quote]

1974 Jeep CJ5 - 304 V8, Edelbrock Intake, Holley 650, MSD Ignition, Patriot Headers
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM

I've had our corporate attorneys look at this pretty closely. Legal decision involving these matters are made on the preponderance of the evidence. Think of it this way, if a vin stamp(s) was cut out of the cowl of a car and welded into another car, would the other car then become the legit car? Or would the original car with the two holes on the cowl and the vin tag be the legit car? I'm not saying that this is exactly what happened in the case at hand, but I'm just illustrating that the preponderance of the evidence and not just the physical vin stamp in the cowl is used to determine legitimacy. With the value of these cars, fake cowl stamps will get better and better until even the experts are fooled.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:08 PM

Just my suspicious mind, but based on the calls that I have gotten - I wouldn't be surprised to see this car be suddenly &quot;discovered&quot; as an old race car behind a garage some day soon. Don't be surprised if it happens community and be very suspicious when it does! My public posting may have interrupted/delayed the &quot;discovery&quot; announcement and I've heard that some people are mad about it. I need another copo like I need another hole in my head - the understanding of the story is just so interesting that it keeps me pursuing. I did get some uopdated info today. Remember when I wrote in this thread a couple of weeks ago that &quot;I've got to figure out what all of the white paint is about&quot;? Well, the owner in the 90's said that he stripped white paint off of the rear of the car and one door. He did add that he believes that the car has had its cowl replaced. The entire car was painted white at some time (even the bottom of the fuel tank)!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bergy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing that it turned up Marlin, is that you have told me that you had no personal knowledge about your &quot;title in an envelope&quot; statement. You even told me that it's quite possible that if an offer for such a sale was made &quot;10 years ago&quot;, it's quite possible that the vin was not, in fact, off of the car. I'm just like you Marlin - just trying to get the whole story here. </div></div>

You are correct. The car was not offered to me personally in an envelope, but rather another enthusiast who has been in the hobby a lot longer than I! At that time, I did not know the offer was for this particular car - as there are actually 3 green Yenkos from PA that this offer could have applied to, [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img] Do we know if the vin was off the car at the time the offer was made, I don't know.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-05-2010, 12:44 AM

WHO made the offer to sell it and to WHOM was the offer to?