Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 AM

Default Motion Kit ?

Hello my name is Justin I'm from Deland FL.not sure if this is the right place to put this, but figured some here might like to see my car..I posted this at another forum but figured I would try here also.My car is currently in several pieces, and I am trying to decide what I am going to do with it..I know I will be leaving the body kit on the car, but I really would like to find out more about the mods done to the car, and possibly who did them..now I know that most "vette" people think my car is just somebodys slapped together custom junk..but the more I have looked into it, the more I am beginning to think otherwise..It is currently Yellow and black..it was Candy Apple Red.(Orig it was Steel Cities Gray/Leather AC/Auto base 72 coupe)...my car has a Motion hood (with stripes) on it...the car has a widebody (IMSA/style kit) the body kit is def not a Greenwood, and neither an Eckler's can-am..it has smooth quarters (no scoops) and is much wider than anything ecklers made..(so wide that 295/50/15s with a 3 inch adapter still are covered) ..but things get weird then, the tail panel has 8 taillights..and a spoiler (it appears to be a modified camaro "motion type" widened to fit the widebody)..the tail panel is not Eckler's it is all made up of chevy part numbers, except the last 2 light buckets, they are handmade..the decklid had provisions for louvers that someone discarded before I got the car..my engine had a holley system Z intake (with x-over ports), a matching 4160 carb..mr gasket small air cleaner with custom wingnut, and chromed hooker headers with covers..all pretty common I suppose..but I am hoping to find out some history on the car..especially what the front may have looked like..ie. fixed headlights..grilles..etc...and if anyone knows any history on the car..I bought the car in 2007..I got it from PA..and at one point I know it had work done to it in Sarrasotta...I don't really care if it is worth anything or not.. .I have emailed Joel Rosen, but I'm not really in a positition (I'm currently unemployed) right now to pay for research.I just want a period correct custom..and would like it to be like it was when it was customized.....any help or opinions appreciated, thanks.

[image]http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corv...ta/594/Vt1.JPG[image]

[image]http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corv...um/5ffe_12.JPG[image]

[image]http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corv...m/100_4783.jpg[image]

[image]http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corv...ata/594/Vb.JPG[image]
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Motion Kit ?

Hey Justin,
Welcome to the site!
I'm sure that if this car has any history , you'll find an answer here.
These guys are great.
Your rear spoiler looks similar to mine on my 68 vette, just wider. I'm also going to guess that the headlights were fixed, or bucket. May have had clear covers over them? That is what I would have expected judging on the other mods done to the car.
What part of Pa. did it come from?
You'll have an unique vette when you are done and I'm sure you'll have a ball driving it!
Joe
Ps hope you find a job soon so you can spend all your money on this !
Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 AM

Joe, Thanks for the reply..I bought it from Valley Auto, off the ebay back in 07..they got it from Sarrasotta I believe..Florida Title goes back to 92..Your 68 looks awesome..
Old 11-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Justin, thanks,
Are you sure your fenders are not Ecklers, just modified to be wider?
I'm no expert but a good body man can do wonders to modify body parts.
Joe
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Joe,I thought that they were Eckler's but, when I first got the car I talked to someone at Greenwood vettes, and he asked me to measure the width, and they told me it was a race kit, and not a street kit, and that the difference was in the widths..Now that we have taken the car completely apart.(it's getting a new birdcage) we know the whole body kit was pressed as wide as it is..the tail was originally open and the original 1/4s are still inside the flares..the tail panel appears to be handmade using all stock corvette pieces..I swore it was a modified eckler 6 taillight panel..but when we got the body off you could see that it was 2 stock panels cut up..it's really driven me crazy, I have looked at tons of cars online and some in person and nothing is even close..I will try to post some pics of the stripes we found under the new paint a few days ago...I don't really care if it is Eckler's parts or not at least I would be sure of what it is...the only reason I would consider it a Motion type kit..is well the hood is a Motion hood, and it is very fragile, and very old..and the rear spoiler appears to be an elongated GT spoiler..the mirrors are not corvette sport mirrors..they are GM midsize sport mirrors, (corvette ones are smaller)..Now maybe ecklers offered all the same stuff and it is possibly an Eckler's car IDK..I wish I could find older Eckler's catalog..ironically all the parts except the hood, are in the 75 Motion Catalog..which I have a copy of...Thanks,Justin
Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Are the original front fenders still under the flares as well? Its your car but is sounds like there could be a nice stock Vette under there somewhere.

Jason
Old 11-05-2011, 04:52 AM

Jason,Yeah they just glass over the stock body..you would need lots of patches to repair some cuts depending on how bonded they are..I saw a body kit removed once online, and it was kind of sad to see..everyone with a chrome bumper seems to ditch their period correct mods..too each his own..but I bought the car because it was the only chrome bumper widebody I had seen at the time..the car could be restored, and it is all numbers matching, , it is a bit of a GT car, AC/3.08/TH400/Leather Deluxe int..not that I really Care ,but it's not worth a lot as a base engine car, and I think it would ruin the car, and it's history(whatever that may be)..to put it back to a stock Vette...it's been a widebody a long time..so I'm sure we will restore it as close to the way it was, when it was first customized..Thanks,Justin
Old 11-05-2011, 05:12 AM

Stripe Pics..under the yellow paint.
[image]http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corv.../Photo0248.jpg[image]

[image]http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corv.../Photo0246.jpg[image]

[image]http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corv.../Photo0245.jpg[image]
Old 11-19-2011, 12:06 AM

Does anyone have any pics of a Motion Can-Am car (not the spyder)
or scans of the 1976 catalog???...I believe there is a picture of the kit in the 76 catalog, maybe the 75 also IDK..Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 PM

This one ?