Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 04-29-2016, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Aftermarket bumpers and Mirror Location 68 Camaro

On the mirror I would have imagined even being a dealer installed item there was a template, when I got beater the antenna hole looked like it was cut with a torch, I found a 1968 service part and it has a template for the fender, would there have been one for the mirror?

Old 05-01-2016, 05:09 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

No state laws required the passenger mirror back then. State law couldn't overrule federal law and it wasn't required federally.

That said, I feel blind getting in a car with only the driver's side mirror...

A template would be a good thing to find.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:33 PM

Thanked 1,233 Times in 577 Posts

Some History is in order:

FEDERAL MOTOR
VEHICLE SAFETY
STANDARDS
(Title 49 Code of Federal
Regulations Part 571)

Standard No. 111 - Rearview Mirrors - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, School Buses and Motorcycles
(Effective 1-1-68)
This standard specifies requirements for the performance and location of inside and outside rearview mirrors. Its purpose is to reduce the number of deaths and injuries that occur when the driver of a motor vehicle does not have a clear and reasonably unobstructed view to the rear.

The enactment of this standard quickly caused individual states to develop rule making at the state level. This was specific for the usage and design of the vehicle. For example even before the enactment of FMVSS 111:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Alabama</span>
Alabama Vehicle Code, Section 32-5-214
Mirrors.
Every motor vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle. (Acts 1927, No. 347, p. 348; Code 1940, T. 36, §37; Acts 1959, No. 292, p. 860.)

In Alabama towing a simple trailer or having materials stacked up too high in your rear passenger seat could cross up with the law as early as 1959, and land you a citation.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:42 AM

There was no state that required passenger side mirrors in 69. None.

FMVSS was developed to provide safety standards and a uniform marketplace to the manufacturers.
The only exception to the federal being *the* rule is with emissions. Since CA regulated emissions before the feds (EPA), they have a special exemption.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 AM

Thanked 1,233 Times in 577 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was no state that required passenger side mirrors in 69. None.

FMVSS was developed to provide safety standards and a uniform marketplace to the manufacturers.
The only exception to the federal being *the* rule is with emissions. Since CA regulated emissions before the feds (EPA), they have a special exemption. </div></div>

Sorry I am fresh out of troll food today. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2016, 01:26 PM

Thanked 4,088 Times in 1,075 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was no state that required passenger side mirrors in 69. None.

The only exception to the federal being *the* rule is with emissions. Since CA regulated emissions before the feds (EPA), they have a special exemption. </div></div>

Sorry I am fresh out of troll food today. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] </div></div>

Good. Give it a rest.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:22 PM

What's funny is that I did design work on several products that had to conform to the FMVSS, so I'm kinda familiar with it.
No googling required. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2016, 06:48 PM

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,033 Posts

Anyone else ever been told by a vendor that &quot;this is the first time they have ever heard of this complaint&quot; or &quot;you are the only complaint we have heard from&quot; or &quot;we have sold 10,000 of these and NO ONE has ever complained&quot;? The last time I heard that from a vendor I offered to send them the link to the Team Chevelle thread that several dozen people were talking about my particular issue. Listen to the buyers or your products vendors. We can make or break your business.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specialized in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 05-02-2016, 09:14 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else ever been told by a vendor that &quot;this is the first time they have ever heard of this complaint&quot; or &quot;you are the only complaint we have heard from&quot; or &quot;we have sold 10,000 of these and NO ONE has ever complained&quot;? The last time I heard that from a vendor I offered to send them the link to the Team Chevelle thread that several dozen people were talking about my particular issue. Listen to the buyers or your products vendors. We can make or break your business. </div></div>

It is amazing to me after spending thousands with them over the years they just have a not my problem and we do not care attitude. I cant say how I really feel I am quite sure it is against TOS and there may be children around....
Old 05-03-2016, 12:06 AM

Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,280 Posts

Anyone else ever been told by a vendor that &quot;this is the first time they have ever heard of this complaint&quot; or &quot;you are the only complaint we have heard from&quot; or &quot;we have sold 10,000 of these and NO ONE has ever complained&quot;?

Sound familiar Rick. I think if the first thing you hear from a vendor is &quot;this is rare&quot; or something like you quoted above, it is kind of like the line from Hamlet: &quot;The lady doth protest too much, methinks&quot;. If they feel the need.....

Recently bought a washer pump for the 68 El Camino. Found one made in U.S.A. even. Installed it and it locked the wiper motor. Sent it back after the vendor told me how rare it was for them to have a bad one. Installed the new one. Worked great... except it would not cycle around far enough to shut off!! I had that happen many years ago, and was able to bend the pull arm just enough so it made better contact with the cogs. Still wouldn't work.

I can't sent this one back. I got so mad, I threw in on the floor and broke it into a million pieces. CAN'T ANYONE MAKE PARTS THAT FIT AND WORK AS DESIGNED?

Ordered a Goodmark (made in Taiwan) from Rock Auto. Cost more than the U.S.A. part. Doesn't even look like the pic, and is going back.

So, now that you know I have a temper and am prone to violence against crappy parts, anyone know where I can get a washer pump for a 68 El Camino with the &quot;hidden&quot; wipers?

This hobby can get frustrating, especially when it is the same thing over and over. I am the first to admit that washer pump design was WAAAAAY over engineered, and a simple electric pump would have been cheaper and easier. But really, GM made a few million. No one can make one that fits and works?