Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-09-2017, 05:20 PM

Default Re: 68 Yenko Badging

I love the yenkos especially 68's since I get to be in such close proximity to one or sometimes more. BUT I know I will never be able to own one of my own. I have a recipe in my head for when I do get my hands on a 68. I would like to basically do a resto mod version of a 68 yenko. For me I am fine with clones and tributes AS LONG AS YOU ADVERTISE IT CORRECTLY. There are tooooo many people who slap a badge on a car and then tell people yeah its a yenko or yeah its a real Z28 when most of the guys here could spot a fake 3 miles away. Those are the guys who get called out on their b.s. Clone it and drive it just don't lie about what it is.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM

CLASSIC INDUSTRIES
The yenko shields are P# K80013 $31.99 ea. / The fender 427 is P# K677 $26.99 ea. and the 68 S/S stripe stencil kit is P# 153043 $109.99 ALL IN STOCK
Old 02-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craig_Maiorana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the yenkos especially 68's since I get to be in such close proximity to one or sometimes more. BUT I know I will never be able to own one of my own. I have a recipe in my head for when I do get my hands on a 68. I would like to basically do a resto mod version of a 68 yenko. For me I am fine with clones and tributes AS LONG AS YOU ADVERTISE IT CORRECTLY. There are tooooo many people who slap a badge on a car and then tell people yeah its a yenko or yeah its a real Z28 when most of the guys here could spot a fake 3 miles away. Those are the guys who get called out on their b.s. Clone it and drive it just don't lie about what it is.</div></div>

X2 ^^^^ I am building a clone Yenko Deuce (to replace the one I owned in the 70s). Besides, if I were to pop $70K+ for a real one, my next stop would be divorce court ... and after being 40+ years, I don't want to breakin another one. Besides, most buyers of these types of vehicles should know better to check the history of said vehicles. ... TAZ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2017, 06:21 PM

first off....it is a tribute car...not a clone. you may think thats just semantics, but i think there is a difference.

my reasoning is not to pretend i have a genuine yenko car.....i dont have and extra $350K kicking around to buy one. i also dont have the opportunity to buy one of the approximately 33 genuine yenkos that are still in existence.

my reasoning is not to resell my car under the guise that its something its not. im not going to be selling it ever.

my reasoning is more that its a tribute to Don Yenko and his vision of what the car could be. much like the analogy of the sports team jerseys.... im a hockey player and a bruins fan. i own a Bobby Orr jersey but that doesnt mean i am pretending to be Bobby Orr.

i like the look of the Yenko, the performance of the Yenko. simple.

there are two new production cars in 2017--- the corvette and the camaro that are yenko models. technically Don Yenko had zero to do with those. those cars are to carry on the legacy of a visionary of the past. would you consider those cars something they are not????

i hope that helps you understand.

derek
Old 02-09-2017, 06:22 PM

first off....it is a tribute car...not a clone. you may think thats just semantics, but i think there is a difference.

my reasoning is not to pretend i have a genuine yenko car.....i dont have and extra $350K kicking around to buy one. i also dont have the opportunity to buy one of the approximately 33 genuine yenkos that are still in existence.

my reasoning is not to resell my car under the guise that its something its not. im not going to be selling it ever.

my reasoning is more that its a tribute to Don Yenko and his vision of what the car could be. much like the analogy of the sports team jerseys.... im a hockey player and a bruins fan. i own a Bobby Orr jersey but that doesnt mean i am pretending to be Bobby Orr.

i like the look of the Yenko, the performance of the Yenko. simple.

there are two new production cars in 2017--- the corvette and the camaro that are yenko models. technically Don Yenko had zero to do with those. those cars are to carry on the legacy of a visionary of the past. would you consider those cars something they are not????

i hope that helps you understand.

derek
Old 02-09-2017, 06:24 PM

thanks!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:41 PM

Having had the chance to move the corvette around I can say that it embodies the spirit of YENKO .. It is all around ferocious .. I understand the want and need for clones and tributes. Most people wouldn't take a real yenko out and thrash the hell out of it. With a clone there is no worry ...
Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 PM

I hear you guys on the loving Yenkos. I do too. I just wouldn't put Yenko badges on something I built. Maybe the stripes and other things I could see to carry on the essence of a Yenko, but not the Yenko badges. Different strokes for different folks and that's fine. I was just curious on the thought process. As far as new &quot;Yenkos&quot;, yes, I think those cars are something created for nothing more than marketing and to make Lynn some money. If Don had something to do with it, that would be something all together different. Time for some new original ideas.
The wearing team jerseys analogy doesn't work IMO. You aren't wearing helmets, pads etc to make you look like you're the real deal. I have plenty of Pats, Bruins and Sox fan clothes too. Nobody is mistaking me for anything other than a fan.
The only reason why I asked this in your thread was because it looked like you had already gotten an answer to your original question. If that was wrong, sorry about that.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,491 Times in 611 Posts

You missed the point of my comment Dave...

The point was people do it because they enjoy something or support it. Not to deceive.. like Craig said.. If you are in the market for a car like this you know who to get in contact with or what to check to verify the car. Like with anything that there are reproductions of you need to do your homework before a purchase..
Old 02-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,015 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HawkX66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear you guys on the loving Yenkos. I do too. I just wouldn't put Yenko badges on something I built. Maybe the stripes and other things I could see to carry on the essence of a Yenko, but not the Yenko badges. Different strokes for different folks and that's fine. I was just curious on the thought process. As far as new &quot;Yenkos&quot;, yes, I think those cars are something created for nothing more than marketing and to make Lynn some money. If Don had something to do with it, that would be something all together different. Time for some new original ideas.
The wearing team jerseys analogy doesn't work IMO. You aren't wearing helmets, pads etc to make you look like you're the real deal. I have plenty of Pats, Bruins and Sox fan clothes too. Nobody is mistaking me for anything other than a fan.
The only reason why I asked this in your thread was because it looked like you had already gotten an answer to your original question. If that was wrong, sorry about that. </div></div>

Lynn isn't making any money as she has nothing to do with it and does not own the Yenko trademark.