Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-17-2003, 02:37 AM

Default Re: ? about Day 2 mods...

I personally think the day 2 mods are cool..hence my original question. I am only 32, but have been very fortunate to have owned or own a bunch of very rare musclecars. Unfortunatly when I was younger it was the first "go around," of the "boom," so I witnessed more cars being restored to facory specs. What I have noticed is that more and more people are looking for ways to diffentiate their cars from others' at shows, so the "factory," look is being seen less and less. I think the great price increases in both restoration cost and "orginal/NOS" parts (looked at the price on "437" distributors lately..)prices have also contributed to fewer people spending the money on "concourse" restorations. It would be neat to have a completely correct (as it left the factory) musclecar. However unless it is very rare, the cost prohibits many people from doing so, especially when just the restoration cost can exceed 45k. The "day 2," look can allow a pretty correct musclecar (one having most of its' original components) to be restored, while still being reasonable. Also since musclecars "like" headers, deeper gears, lighter wheels, bigger cams, carbs, etc. the cars actually run better, and are more fun to drive. Also modern technology can be incoporated into them allowing them to run on todays' fuel.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:49 AM

What do u mean the mods were "just too cool when you were younger"?! They're still cool!!!! This is the exact look that I'm going for on my camaro. Hooker 4 into 1 sidepipe headers with sidepipes, Keystone Klassics, IROC front valence, Hurst T-Handle Rachet shifter, Lakewood traction bars, etc. Still not too sure about the hood though. Whatever looks cool, and doesn't cost too much. Maybe if I "get rich," I'll buy the correct L-88 hood from Legendary. It's awesome when you have a musclecar that has that "back-in-the-day performance" look. Period correct stuff rocks!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:51 AM

Greg did you ever end up going with the day 2 look with your Chevelle?
Old 11-17-2003, 03:28 AM

Well not exactly... The green car (the 12-9 car) I was considering selling, but have been reconsidering as of right now (too many "tire kickers," and not enough cash, not to mention it is almost impossible to replace). I will probably still do the day 2 look, as it would be really easy to do though. I'm contemplating what I really want to do with the car though. It is a neat car, but in some ways I feel it deserves the concourse route, which isn't really "me" anymore. I wish someone would take it off my hands and "fix" my dilemma.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]I'm sort of thinking about another Camaro..maybe a '68 RS/SS L78 or '68 RS/Z car (my first car was a '68 RS with a L72/4spd). Truthfully I have a couple of other cars that are in need of restorations and I don't have the time nor energy anymore to mess with them either..However if anything gets done on the cars, it will be with the "day 2," approach in mind.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:35 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I was out in the garage today and found A complete chambered exhaust I forgot I had. I bought it for A vette I sold and never used it. It's the under car set up not the side exhaust. I know some Chevelles came with A chambered exhaust but were many folks using them on the streets in the 60's-70's? I could easily use the chambered sections and have the rest finished by my exhuast guy. I thought about selling the whole thing but may use it if I get some positive feedback. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Tommy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img]
Old 11-20-2003, 01:49 AM

I'm looking at a car that has basically the same options (except interior color and some minor differences). I'm gonna keep the vinyl top this time, delete the RS option (for a visual difference and because it's mostly missing anyway) and day 2 it as much as possible...

Cragars (or Ansens if I can find a good set w/ the right backspace)

A full set of Pro Trac bias tires

L88 Hood

Air Shocks and Shackles

Yellow painted rear axle with finned cover (or maybe chrome)

Yellow gas tank (hey you can see it when it's "up there")

Etched windows

Glasspacks with exits behind the doors (unless I get sidepipes)

8 ball shift knob (I currently have it installed in my car, it was found inside the door panel!) I know a T-handle would probably be more era correct but I like it.

Ansen 3 spoke chrome wheel with metalflake grip

Kraco hi-fi 8 track

Slapper bars

Anyway, it should be a contrast to the "stock" car next to it...

Any other ideas? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2003, 11:35 AM

Hey guys, I don't post often but I had to jump in on this one. The following mods were common in 1973-1975 in the eastern Ohio area where I grew up, around Youngstown.

1. rear tires were either L 60 x 15, or N 50x14.
2. common wheels were cragars s/s, Ansen slots
3. yellow slapper traction bars.
4. rear end jacked up using air shocks.
5. We painted the entire under carrage of the car white. Usually using white rustoleum and a brush on your back for two days. Then occasional touch-ups. (with the rear jacked up this looked cool and clean!
6. low-buck exhaust was stock exhaust manifolds with either thrush or cherry bomb dual mufflers up close to the motor, with the exhaust finished off with chrome extensions about 4 feet long that terminated just below the differential. The extensions had a flared end.
7. The high buck exhaust was the same but with headers and header mufflers.
8. Speedpart decals plastered on both rear side windows.
9. t-handle for the gear shift.
10. fake fur, the long kind, covering the package tray.
11. engine mods included, chrome air cleaner, yellow spark plug wires, accel ingnition coil, white headers.
12. Mr. Gasket vert-i-gate shifter, if you had the $$$

In general this was the look for a blue collar mill town suburb. The drag racing look was hot. In my highschool in the 73-75 era used muscle cars were plentiful and cheap. Most had the big blocks blown and long gone, with small blocks installed. I hope this info helps in your discussion.

Jan

Old 11-20-2003, 03:52 PM

Was strictly original,

Starting to turn over to a mild "day 2"look!

Headers, AMRacing, etc...

Who can get me the flat cups, on the AM Racing wheels??

NEW
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2003, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6. low-buck exhaust was stock exhaust manifolds with either thrush or cherry bomb dual mufflers up close to the motor, with the exhaust finished off with chrome extensions about 4 feet long that terminated just below the differential. The extensions had a flared end.
7. The high buck exhaust was the same but with headers and header mufflers.

Jan

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, That's how I remember a lot of cars in the Late 60s, and well into the 70s. I think we used to call them scavenger pipes!
I finished high school in 77...man there were sooo many muscle cars around, and cheap! Hell 3 guys I hung around with all had 70 Chevelle SS, and another guy had a 69 GTO, 70 Challanger, 69 Camaro SS, and the list goes on, and on
Those were the days [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2003, 02:38 PM

How come I can't have all those cars? Sometimes this world sucks! I guess I shouldn't be whining though, cause if there still were all these cars around, my car wouldn't get as many comments as it does (which is still very few!).