Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-01-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: HELP! 66 corvette fuel problem

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge! I just finished rebuilding my holley carb. Havent attempted that since a teenager, went well though. The only things that stuck out during the carb rebuild was the rear needle and seat ass. looked like it was stuck closed and most of the screws in the whole carb seemed a little loose to me. Fuel pump will be here tomorrow. going to install carb, fuel pump and change the oil and see what happens? I would love to hear any more advice some may have on this issue! Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Yenko Paid Member

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> Been there, done that! It took out the oil pan, timing cover, internal parts of the Holley carb, both valve covers and several gaskets not the least to mention a fire. The A/C oil breather on the cover almost imprinted in my head as it preceded the valve cover by a few milliseconds. Not a pretty sight.
Rick
</pre><hr /> Rick, Your problem was you didnt tighten the main caps to the proper specifications
Old 05-02-2007, 07:01 AM

OK Guys, Im pretty bummed. I pulled the fuel pump and drained the oil. There was a lot of fuel in the oil!! Im not sure how much yet, havent measured the drain pan contents yet. Im afraid I may Have done damage to the engine. I sure hope not. Any thoughts on what to do next?? I was thinking about pulling the distributor and priming the oiling system while rotating the engine by hand to make sure everything has oil again before fireing her up. Any thoughts??
Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,871 Times in 1,030 Posts

If you are worried.. Cut the oil filter apart and look for metal. I wouldn't bother pulling the dist and priming the pump. Run it with new oil and then change it again.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Oil and gas mixed together are not near as bad as water or coolant in the oil. Oil and gas should be plenty to lubricate at idle.

Jason
Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 PM

Thanks Charlie and Jason! Will do it today and see what happens. Travis
Old 05-02-2007, 03:23 PM

hello,i would recomend cleaning your NEEDLE and SEAT in the fuel bowl.it is very likely that a piece of dirt is caught between them causing engines to run like crap. it only takes a few minutes to pull each out AND CLEAN.dirt bewtween NEEDLE AND SEAT will cause your symptons.hope this helps you out.MIKE
Old 05-04-2007, 06:20 AM

OK Guys, I have installed new fuel pump, completly rebuilt carb and changed the oil and filter. I measured the oil and gas mixture in the drain pan today--had 8 quarts of fluid cant hardly beleive it! 5 quarts of oil and 3 quarts of fuel. Now for the good news! The lifters chattered a little at start up, she was still puffing a little smoke. After a few minutes of running at an idle, no smoke and no lifter noise. Its running beautiful and not a knock, ping, nothing!! I was so stressed about the bearings in the motor being bad! I got lucky on this one. Thanks to all of you who posted with your experience and knowledge I was able to sleep the past few nights, not well but did sleep. I wanted to give everyone the good news tonight, but most of all THANK YOU!!!!!! Charlie, 427King, Paul, Rick, Bruce, Jason and Mike. You guys Rock! God bless! Travis
Old 05-04-2007, 06:27 AM

Forgot to add fast67velln20 to the thank you list!!
Old 05-06-2007, 02:08 AM

You're one lucky guy. A buddy of mine who owns a 47 Chrysler woody sedan blew the fuel pump diaphram couple of months ago while driving up an onramp. Heard a slight knock then pulled over. The engine had to be totally rebuilt.