Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-24-2008, 06:14 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts
Default Re: New Camaro Commercial

[ QUOTE ]
And in keeping with GM's typical corporate image, sales wont be part of the plan either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes in a way. According to Scott S. Camaro cannot exist with a sales base of aging baby boomers, (that is us BTW...) so to make the new roll out a success a larger buying demographic is being targeted.

We may not like everything we see - but perhaps someone who would otherwise buy a Nissan will choose Camaro instead.

That is how America and Chevrolet will win back market share.

We did not loose the market for cars overnight , and I suspect we will not win it back overnight either, and to complicate matters it is not just a US market. It is Global.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 PM

Ill keep my old ones!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cannot wait for the later introduction of the Z-28 and the Vert.

[/ QUOTE ]
No Z, I believe...will be the 2 V6 models and then a jump up to the SS...which sucks, 'cause the lighter Zs were a better performance base...and the new Camaro platform is friggin' HEAVY.

[ QUOTE ]
GM and Settlemire was real clear on how the car would be promoted, and Challanger/ Mustang style commercials with big burn outs are not the image GM wants for the current roll out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Welp, there goes my dream of GM doing a "Super Stock" version of the Camaro, ala ChryCo & FoMoCo...

The Mustang & Challenger guys get burnouts & performance driving, and us Camaro guys get a cartoon that makes no sense?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:04 PM

It did sound like someone peeing in the background, didn't it .........
Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 PM

Yea!! When I was younger
Old 07-24-2008, 10:53 PM

I am hearing that the Z will be a mid year intro just like '67, with a brand new engine application for a car like the Camaro.

Scott and GM are 180 out on the way Mustang and Challanger are being currently pitched.

This means no public burnouts for the new Camaro and this has to do with the competing brands that are selling now and how they are promoted. Imports.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:07 AM

Here is the latest from the rumor mill on this topic...

http://superchevy.automotive.com/808...ved/index.html
Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am hearing that the Z will be a mid year intro just like '67, with a brand new engine application for a car like the Camaro.

Scott and GM are 180 out on the way Mustang and Challanger are being currently pitched.

This means no public burnouts for the new Camaro and this has to do with the competing brands that are selling now and how they are promoted. Imports.

[/ QUOTE ]
I *hope* it happens, but I'm not holding my breath...I've heard all the rumors about the Z getting the LSA (CTS-V) wonderhorse engine, but think about it: GM is just trying to stay alive, gas prices have doubled since they started thinking of a 4th gen replacement almost 10 years ago, and they would have to price the Z *more* than the base 'Vette to keep from stealing Corvette buyers (and GM will NOT harm that sacred cow)...none of that sounds viable to me. I could *easily* see them making the Z a spinoff of the 4th gen RS...just a thrown on spoiler & badges.

As for "Scott and GM" being 180 out...doesn't surprise me. But riddle me this: who does GM think is their market? I can guaran-darn-tee you it will be priced *out* of the market they're shooting for...so that leaves us with prior generation Camaro owners and/or performance enthusiasts...and when you talk to them, do *any* of them seem stoked about the new V6 Camaro? Heck no they don't, they want a high-hp V8 from the 'Vette or even something better! They aren't interested in it's futuristic looks, or if it rides like a Lexus...start talking track times, and folks listen! And speaking of track times, the new SS was mighty impressive around the Nurburbring...it was 2 seconds quicker around the track than the Cobalt SS!?! Nothing like saddling a performance car with lots of weight...(3800 pounds dry).

Look at all the buzz from the Challenger & Mustang camp...what does it revovle around? Performance. Whether it be from commercials, or public appearances like the S/S Challengers racing @ the NHRA Denver event...folks ate it up with a spoon...the majority of hype I hear lately about the new Camaro is "why do they keep moving it back" and "I'm so tired of hearing about this thing already, with nothing to show of it"...

I'm as die hard of a GM guy as there ever will be, but this all seems like a too little too late kinda deal to me...
Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 AM

Thanked 1,413 Times in 680 Posts

I am reserving my opinion until I see it in person as I have mixed thoughts about it from the pics.

One thing I do know is that they better friggin' hurry up and get that thing to market.

Maybe gas prices will fall a little and stabilize, which would help a lot.

I do have my eye on a new G8 GT though right now....
John 10:30
Old 07-25-2008, 02:51 AM

I think Chevy is actually "getting it". Picture this: A Kid buys a base Camaro with a 300 HP 6 cylinder - Then puts a base aftermarket Turbocharger on it. LOTS of vintage V-8's are then wacked on the street and strip, along with most of the import tuners including all but the fastest tuned out turbocharged imports and domestic iron.

Base Camaro could become the car of choice again with the kids, with reasonable entry insurance rates and the look and styling the imports cannot touch.

This is why the kid connection with Camaro in the movie "Transformers" was so important to marketing.

The base car has to be reasonably priced too.

If Camaro gets the youth market back then the car will succeed. If the new Camaro makes it IMO... so does GM.