Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 12-31-2009, 08:07 AM

Default Car from Childhood

Every one here has that one Car that made a Lasting impression-almost like a "1st Kiss" thing-It's something that you always remeber-When i was a little kid, my Father(who had MANY muscle cars)had a 1967 Firebird it was a very "attention" getting car,with custom paint job(Kandy pearl white with Black panel type accents very late '60's early "70's type paint-but what made the car Really Stand out was that it had 2 Big Marijauna leafs painted on the side's rite near the roof valance's&a Chain steering wheel)this Car Attracted A lot of attention +&-,But it did command respect on the street-the car was a Real Beast here is what it had when my Father"built it in the '70's"-Full built Chevy BBC"454" -high compression-Square port's-Solid Cam-single 4 barrel-M22"rockcrusher"-4.88 gears-12 bolt posi&with very cool "HUSH TRUSH" muffler's-funny thing was that i rember the car still being LOUD!The car& how it made me feel,always stuck with me,the noise the tranny made-the mufflers sounded like music,My father sold the car off in the '80s to one of his close freinds-funny thing was is that they&me-all have the same name-"Hector"-that was how that car was known-"Hector's Car"-I tried to get that car back-but that is a LONG story 4 a different time,Can any 1 here relate to this story?Or provide any info on a 1967 pontiac firebird white&black with weed leafs&chain steering wheel in Western newyork from back in the day.....
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 436449-67thrushmuffler.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Car from Childhood

I can relate. When I was 12 years old, my cousins boyfriend had a brand new 67 Camaro. RS/SS, 350, 4 speed, Gold with a black vinyl top, buckets seats. I sat in it one night, playing with the shifter, pretending I was driving. It was parked next to the barn, with the yard light shining down on it. I fell in love with that car. I bought that very car 4 years later. It was prety well beat up, but I made it decent again.
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 12-31-2009, 04:46 PM

I tried to get firebird back-long story short-it Vanished in the '80's&then in 1994 showed up all restored to how it was,Everything was NEW on car&perfect-fastforward to 2008 car show's back up&it was for sale(his family didnt want it&wanted $15-20G's&it didnt have a Motor or tranny&was shitting in storage unit for YEARS!)I looked for car&it was too late a Guy-Chet low balled(STOLE!!)the car for $5,500-(backrent was owed for storage&owner wanted it out!!)When Chet got car home-He"Popped" Trunk&M22-Scattershield,Hurst shifter was all inside!So all Chet did Was "Throw" a 454 &Clean the car up Really good-THATS IT!I never found car,let alone "see it"but i always new it was "MINT"anyways I found out who has the car&offer to "Buy" it&he say's sure but He says he ("Put a lot $$ in car almost$16,000 in receipts")So i ask how much&he say's $35,000& it will go $50,000-That was a SLAP IN MY FACE,All that he did was throw a motor in it&wash it that!Nothing else-so its his now
Old 12-31-2009, 08:10 PM

Here is a lifetime lasting impression for me.

Back in October of 1962 (I was 12) I was watching the Chevrolet sponsored Bonaza. They ran the show commerial free and at the end they showcased the new 1963 models to be unveiled at the dealerships the next day. I remember the screen going black and thinking there was something wrong with the TV. Suddenly, spotlights came on the rear view of a split window coupe Corvette. The car was on a turntable and appeared to be white. It was a black and white TV set BTW. The entire background was black and the turntable bagan to turn slowly showing the side of the car as the announcer was tauting the new car. When it got to the 3/4 view of the front they rolled the hidden headlights up. I had goosepimples. I said outload, "when I am old enough to drive I am going to buy one of those!!" It was love at first sight.

Years later I have owned MANY mid year Corvettes but never a 63 spit window.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:04 PM

My first car memory was of my dad's 1956 Dodge Coronet Lancer. It was a three-tone with a cream top, charcoal hood and trunk, and coral along the sides. The interior was black and white with a push-button transmission. I used to think that push-button trans was so cool. What impressed me the most though was the engine. I can remember going into the garage and lifting the hood to just gaze at the most beautiful sight I had ever seen (I hadn't started noticing girls yet). It was a big red engine with Red Ram spelled out on the valve covers and a big, black air cleaner sitting on top. I knew then what an awesome sight a V-8 engine was. I never got to drive it as before I reached driving age my dad had traded it in on a new 1965 Dodge Coronet. It was a shade of light (ice) blue with a blue interior. It was the car I first drove, and it also had a red engine (no script on the valve covers though) with a black air cleaner. It didn't have the magic or sheer attraction as the 1956 did to my young mind though.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 PM

During my childhood my parents owned 3 1967 Olds 98's.The high compression 425's all sounded so good.I could always tell when dad was home{usually with a nervous lump in my throat} by the blub blub of that bigblock.When he later replaced his 67 with a 1970 88 with a 350 in it I actually told him that it sounded like it had tin cans for pistons{pretty asute observation for a 10 year old}.He sold his dented up 98 for $25 and my moms much nicer one for $400 back in the 80's.When I first layed eyes on what would be my first car I just knew I had to have it.A 1967 Olds Cutlass 2 door.Man I wish dad had just kept the 425 out of that car he sold for $25,it ran so good.That car had his old pipe tobacco smell in it,rode like it was on a cushion of air and he would manuver it through parking lots with just the tip of one finger on the steering wheel.

Anybody remember the good old dayz when preparing for the family vacation started out with going down to the local parts store and picking up a few cans of freon and soaking them in hot water and charging up the AC so it would stay cold all week?No suprise they outlawed that stuff.Heck,who am I kidding,I was doing the same thing all summer long with my Trans Am and cans of that"freeze 12" replacement stuff.Some old habits die hard.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 PM

4 on the floor,a loud car with MJ leafs painted on the side.Cop target?I got one better.When I was in high school a kid had a white Buick Skylark all jacked up and loud with the name "White Line Runner" painted on it.real smart huh?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 PM

It was a Cop Target-Im pretty sure that's why my Father initially sold it,Because he would ALWAYS get pulled over by the COPS-Funny thing is that it still had the marijuana leaf's on it in 2008 but ,The Guy that has it now had them removed&he also took off the Chain steering wheel-I have a lot of pic's of this car but i cant seem to load them up here?I was told that it was a Autorama Show car(Winner) from back in the day...
Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 PM

I was in High School.1978, my buddys brother came and picked us from school...driving a 70 SATURN YELLOW GSX STAGE 1 car....we smoked some mary jane, got some beer...did some burnouts a little street racing, he dumped me off, my mom was fricken' POd...3 days later he totaled the car....I have dreams about that car every so often...good times man...good times...
Old 01-02-2010, 04:07 AM

Pic's>of mufflers that I just got for Nova,any1 chime in as to how they"Sound"?I had a Hard time finding them,But i got em on Ebay&Now i need a "FlyEye" air cleaner,But it seems like they are BIGBUCKS!I been trying to post pic's of Firebird&it just aint working!!But if Any1 Know's bout that car I will Gladly send pic's to you,Im still trying to track its origins......
Attached Images