Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > L78/L89 specific Forum

Old 02-24-2015, 02:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 68 Camaro RS/SS L78 value

Good evening all.
Looking for some advice on the value of a restored 1968 Camaro RS/SS. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
Doesn't have it's original drivetrain but has a date correct MQ block, a date correct M20 &amp; a correct PF code 3:31 post rear end.
Any &amp; all opinions welcome &amp; appreciated.
Thanks
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts
Default Re: 68 Camaro RS/SS L78 value

Need pictures of the restoration to be able to give a decent opinion. Does it have paperwork? Its going to be hard to put a price on something like this without more info.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:46 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cook_dw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need pictures of the restoration to be able to give a decent opinion. Does it have paperwork? Its going to be hard to put a price on something like this without more info. </div></div>
Darrell
I know it's tough to put a precise value on a car without seeing it but I'm looking for a realistic range of prices. I have the opportunity to buy this car unrestored (it's pretty rough) but I'm trying to figure out whether it makes sense financially to buy it &amp; restore. It does have GM Canada documentation.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

What options did it have?

At this point I would guess 50-60K of course that depends on several things though. Restoration quality, options, desirable color..
Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 PM

I restored my 68 and it cost me over 100 ,all orig and NOS dated parts.
The question to ask yourself is what level do you want to restore it too.
Then compare the total cost of the restoration to the price of buying one that has already been restored and documented like the one you want to buy.
3 years ago one sold in Canada for 90 s with documents and real nice resto
I don't know the current going price for a 68.

PJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cook_dw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What options did it have?

At this point I would guess 50-60K of course that depends on several things though. Restoration quality, options, desirable color.. </div></div>
Old 02-28-2015, 04:21 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any &amp; all opinions welcome &amp; appreciated.
Thanks</div></div>

You likely know most of this, but it is extremely unlikely you will make any money by restoring a non supercar even if you started with a free car. Parts and materials alone can turn out to be more than a finished car is worth even with no charge for labor. Once you add labor cost (your time or someone you pay) you will likely spend at least twice what an already restored car costs to purchase. Even when restoring supercars it is very easy to get upside down as parts, labor, and materials add up very fast.

I think most who go down the full restoration path do it for the love of the car / hobby, prestige, ego, other reasons as there is rarely if ever a financial gain at the end. When you take into account time value of money, or lost opportunity cost, then you would virtually always be at a financial loss regardless of the car except for very rare exceptions like ZL-1's, 71 hemi Cuda convertibles, or vintage Ferraris where the values are so high a smaller appreciation can cover the resto costs, but even with these exceptions, it is all about hitting the market timing right. The vast majority of vintage car appreciation can not even come close to what someone might get for investing the same money in a low fee S&amp;P 500 index fund the past 5 years.

If you're doing a quickie re-spray with inferior or repo parts, (lipstick on a pig) then that's another story, but a full concourse frame-off resto is a very expensive proposition. I seem to recall a board member recently that had a RA IV GTO with fresh concours resto and I don't know if it ever sold, but after running through an auction and being for sale for awhile, I think the market valued the car at about 50% of what he had in it.

Bottom line, unless you really love this car, have a trove of rare parts bought 30 years ago, and you have lots of free time, or buddies in the business that will work for beer, or just have unlimited cash, I seriously doubt you will break even on a restoration of a 68 L-78 Camaro documented or not.

With all of that said, sounds like a neat documented car and would be great to save it, but forget making money if you restore it. If you're looking to make a few bucks off a full resto, there is just no rational financial case here. if you are looking to make a buck, then flipping is the way to go. Buy it, invest nothing except a little clean up and selling it on quickly for more than you paid.

Before someone jumps on me, I have owned and still own some rare and desirable muscle cars of the era (2 Yenkos, 5 BM cars, and others) and personally know how much time and money it takes to restore a car properly. It is just not a money making venture except in extremely rare situations. I grew up in high school with these cars and just have a love for them, but they sure don't form any part of my investment or retirement portfolio. My last car purchase was a fully concourse restored one and I probably saved at least 50% versus buying a rough project and having the car done.

Free advice.............now go out and buy that car and get it done, it will be a mostly fun journey, but an expensive one.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:43 AM

COPO , Pooh-Bah ,....you said that very well ! You are not being You are 100 % correct , that most guys even if you get the car for free, or can do most of the work yourself ,you will most likely end up under water ! Unless its a super rare car, and Documented,.... COPO, LS6 , Yenko , Baldwin or Z16 Chevelle, and even then you will likely only break even.....
Lately into Beaumont SD's, 66,67,68 and 69 , including a 69 2 Dr Post Beaumont , an L78 2 Dr Post Chevelle LS6 Chevelle's, LS6 and L78 El Camino and Camaro fan ! Also 2 Cdn Documented COPO's, a COPO Camaro and COPO Chevelle Love GM Products
Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 PM

I am restoring a 67 RS/SS L78, so I am well acquainted with the cost of restoration. When I say restoration I mean down to every last nut, bolt and split pin. To compound this cost I have to contend with international exchange rates and freight charges and then local tax. This means multiplying the cost of parts by 2 (at least). I can therefore definitely say that it is a labor of love......and frustration.
By the way does anybody know where I can get a OL code 4 core Harrison manual radiator.....apart from Heartbeat City Camaro?
Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 PM

Gavin, what is the build date of your car? Jeff
Old 03-06-2015, 08:16 PM

More importantly Gavin. Show us some shots (we love in-process photos [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]) of your cool '67!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]