Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Old 10-10-2001, 11:06 AM

Default Anyone know of a Fathom Blue '68 DICK HARRELL Chevelle?

Just as the Subject states.....

This car was from around the Wichita, Kansas area ORIGINALLY, and was last known to have been bought by someone in or near the Kansas City, MO area, or maybe the Missouri area. And NEVER re-registered in their name!!!

I do have the serial number (VIN) (don't ask) and had ran a title search back years ago (when still legal to do so) and have documentation of previous registered owners (all 6 of them) back to the ORIGINAL OWNER.

I also verified that it was a Dick Harrell car from the original selling dealership as well.

This car was described to me (by the last registered owner) as being a "really Dark Blue" I'm guessing Fathom Blue car, with white bucket interior.

He also described to me that it had (what seems to me NOW to be) a fiberglass hood just like the one on the red '68 DH Chevelle owned by Joe Sweezey on & in Muscle Car Review.

Anyone ever seen/heard about this car?

Comments anyone????

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-10-2001, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Anyone know of a Fathom Blue '68 DICK HARRELL Chevelle?

Don't take this wrong away, as I don't ask to offend, but to learn: are you sure the car was a Chevelle? I am assuming (yeah, I know happens when you ass-u-me!) that you checked the VIN to make sure it's a Chevelle? Or that you personally saw it or remember it being a Chevelle, and are not getting the info second hand (which has happened to me). It sounds like a '68 Harrell Nova is what you are describing, except you are looking for Chevelle!

[Edited by Chevy454 (10-10-2001 at 01:26 PM).]
Old 10-10-2001, 06:48 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

What was the selling dealer? They built one Fathom Blue Chevelle, but I don't recall it having white interior. The article in which the car appears has black. Only two Chevelles are rumored to have the hood. The blue car had a white stripe on the front like Joe's. The other three cars are to have been red, yellow, and green. That makes five. That is the total the we were told by the people that built the cars. I may have taked to you before on the Chevelle page about the car you are talking about...BKH
Old 10-10-2001, 07:02 PM

the-bowtie-gang

Welcome to the site! Your first post is interesting and I think may help other Harrell fans for future reference. The July '68 Super Stock and Drag Illustrated identifies the test '68 427 Chevelle as being a "midnight blue". Have you seen this article? In regards to the car you are trying to locate, is the "selling" dealership the same as the "originating" dealership?

I have some theory's, one that needs to be either deposed or confirmed. It is that many early Harrell Performance Center cars were orginally ordered through the Fred Gibb Chevy dealership, and then shipped to final destination dealerships after modification at Dick's shop. This is a known fact for the '68 Nova's, and ZL1's. When Dick first set up his shop in Kansas City, he was very close with Fred Gibb, and considered setting up his shop in LaHarpe. I have an article regarding Dick's personal '68 Chevelle Super Stocker, being inadvertantly dropped off at the dealership, in LaHarpe, instead of at the Kansas City shop, when being shipped from Detroit in January of '68. I may have to ask Helen about some of these details.

Does anyone else on this site have further information? I know I discussed this with Joe S. at the reunion, and found his car was ordered at the "selling" dealership. I know Dick was not considered an "official" dealership, however I have seen at least one pic of him in a jacket that read "Dick Harrell Chevrolet" on the back.

For the bow-tie-gang:
Please e-mail me if you would like, for further discussion, if you would like to keep details of your search private, I understand. I am the fellow who owns Fred's first racecar, "Little Hoss".
Old 10-10-2001, 07:16 PM

I thought Joe's car came from Bill Allen Chevrolet? Wasn't this true with the "later" Harrell cars?
Old 10-10-2001, 08:07 PM

Nope, 100% sure it's a Chevelle... vin starts 138378K....

And after also speaking with the last registered owner...

I think he'd at least KNOW if he owned a Nova versus a Chevelle!! LOL

68TopStock....

Actually there IS a notation on the paperwork (from the "selling" dealership) making reference to Gibb Chevrolet, LaHarpe, IL.

That also makes me wonder if this particular car ever even was at Dick Harrells place in KC.

Or if the paperwork made it seem like (for the "billing" and any "Chevrolet warranty type" paperwork) or reflect merely a transfer between the two actual dealerships, leaving out the stop at the Harrell shop.

[Edited by the_bowtie_gang (10-10-2001 at 03:07 PM).]
Old 10-10-2001, 08:14 PM

How long has the car been off the road (unregistered)? Who is listed on the MSO as the selling dealer? I assume by reading your post it was listed as Dick Harrell?

The reason I ask is, that I was under the impression that Harrell got his cars from either Gibb, and then later Bill Allen(?)...but then again, Ken theorized that Dcik had cars delivered to him...!

Brian:

What dealer did Joe's Chevelle come from?

[Edited by Chevy454 (10-10-2001 at 03:14 PM).]
Old 10-10-2001, 10:28 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

The Chevelle was Bill Allen. I would think the majority of Chevelles may have been from Allens. We think the 69 427 Camaro was from Bill Allen as well. It makes a good bit of sense to get the cars from Bill Allen after the COPO Nova run, since it would be a local dealer near Dicks shop. The Camaro does not appear to have been at Gibb's. It was sold at Ed Black Chevrolet in New Mexico new. That is a fact. We visited the original owners in New Mexico when we went of a mega road trip to Harrell's shop in Los Cruses NM...BKH
Old 10-11-2001, 12:15 AM

the bowie gang

It seems the car you are trying to locate may either be the one in the '68 article or just another Chevelle, possibly modified by Dick Harrell. If the records show it going through the Gibb dealership, it could be the one in the article. I just spoke with Dave Libby, he worked for Dickie in '68-9.
He verified 5 Chevelles total, for 1968. The one meant to be Dick's Super Stocker apparently was never prepared for racing, just sat for awhile in the shop, until a drivetrain was put in it by Dave's brother. It was red with black vinyl top, just like Joe's. This car is the one I mentioned above, first going to the Gibb dealership.
It was totaled in 1970, per Dave. That leaves 3 others, other than Joe's. Anyone know of there whereabouts? Dave mentioned them being ugly green (2), red (2), and the blue one.

If you determine the possible build date from the VIN, it would probably be before Joe's car, if it went through Fred Gibb. This might help, but who knows. Don't give up until you find the car though, you never know how these things work out.

Old 10-11-2001, 12:28 AM

My Ralley Green Harrell COPO was delivered new through Bill Allen Chevrolet. I have a certified copy of the Bill Allen Chevrolet bill of sale from the State DMV. Also shows "MO" Motor ID on it. The original owner of this car is still alive and in speaking he told of buying from Bill Allen/Dick Harrell. My 68 Harrell Camaro was delivered through Branine Chevrolet. I have the same sheet and VIN's my Camaro and the Chevelle that Bowtie Gang has. (Len I responded to your email). It notes these two cars coming from Gibb. I also spoke to Mr. Branine whom is retired now, and he told the whole story. The original owner of my 68 is alive and in speaking with him; his family was friends of the Branine's at the time.

Brian, did you get my email I sent several days ago? Kevin