Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Old 08-12-2003, 04:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1970 Dick Harrell camaro

I would like to start a new thread on this car,being that it was in the wrong place to begin with.I would first like to say thanks to Ron Bentz for locating the car.About the finders fee,as rick stated, I had every intention of paying ron for services rendered. I had brought the money with me in cash,when we were picking up the car. It was my understanding ron was to be there.The owner even thought so because he had wondered were he was because ron had stopped by the previous saturday and said he would be there to help load the car. Rick N. had told me before the purchase that ron was to be paid the finders fee which i had no promblem with.When he was not there i figured we would catch up later. I did not want to mail cash,Anyway to make a long story short,the check is in the mail,I apologize to ron, as there was never any intent to screw anyone out of a finders fee, i do not think the friendship between rick and ron should end over a car! Now with that being said a little info on the car, 1970 Dick harrell ls6 camaro,green w/grn interior,5800 original miles,original paint,car was sitting since 1974,started on a regular basis,no rust,beautiful underneath shows all red oxide primer,still talking with previous owners on all relevant info. I would also like to thank Rick N. for researching the car and finding out more about it.Now,i will let Rick post pics of car and more info. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img]
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 56700-Mvc-854s.jpg 56699-Mvc-855s.jpg 55961-Img_2016.jpg 50407-DHC4.JPG
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-12-2003, 05:27 PM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 486 Posts
Default Re: 1970 Dick Harrell camaro

sounds like a cool car. Is it an L78 trim tag? Is it a 4sp? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2003, 05:30 PM

Chad,

My personal congratulations to you and Rick, as well as my thanks for all the work to bring this car back in the public's eye. Rick sent me a couple of pictures this morning and the car is in amazing condition. I'm really looking forward to seeing her up close and personal later this month. If there's anything we can do, please let us know.

Dennis
Old 08-12-2003, 05:44 PM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

Thanks for the many kind words via e-mails and PM's that I have received today. We are very excited about the car to say the least. I had heard about this car several years ago both in rumor and also when the original newspaper add was posted on site. I let it lie for some time and then started tracking it again over a year ago. When Ron joined sYc, he was asking several restoration questions which I took the time to answer both on and off line. After several months, I felt as though I could confide in Ron and see if he knew about the car. He remebered as a kid and after making a few inquiries, he was able to locate the original owner.

It took nine months of phone calls, e-mails and kissing some major butt to determine that this in fact was the real deal. The car was sold new at Van's Chevrolet. It has gone through a total of 4 owners up to now. The car was raced for the first two years and when purchased in 1973 by the last owner, it was relinquished to see street duty. The owner then went to Viet Nam. Upon his return, the car was never driven on the street again and was located in the garage where it had sat for 30 plus years. The owner took very good care of the car and started it frequently. Outside of a major bath, tune-up and buffing, the car needed very little and retained most of it's original parts.

Dennis Hartweg was instrumental in providing me with contacts and information prior to his untimely passing. Since then Annie has graciously and tirelessly taken over from there. Thanks also to Ken Boje for his help. Others have unknowingly helped as well but I was not able to disclose my reasons for asking the questions at the time.

I will provide some photos to show how the car was found. The Pro Stock hood has now been replaced with the stock hood which is painted like the nose. This hood has been wrapped up for 30 plus years in blankets. With the purchase of the car, we were also given several original dated photographs showing the car. We are being told that more are being obtained from other owners as well. I am now in the process of contacting all the previous owners.

The car will be on display at the reunion this year and am looking forward to displaying it with other Harrell cars. We hope people enjoy it as much as we do and we also hope this car can partake in the continuing research into Dick Harrell's life and his cars. This example is an unrestored 5800 mile car so most all original decals, emblems, inspection marks, etc are all visible.
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 08-12-2003, 05:46 PM

Body shots

Joe, the car started life as an SS350. It was then converted to an LS6 with a CY coded Turbo 400. So far, it appears as though it was delivered with a 3:08 rear though those gear were replaced with steeper gears later on.
Rick
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2003, 05:47 PM

another body shot
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2003, 05:49 PM

where the excitement started. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2003, 05:50 PM

where it continued.....
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2003, 05:51 PM