Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 12-26-2003, 08:54 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Crane Corvette valve covers

I'd like opinions on Crane Corvette's repro valve covers. Spot weld marks look right? Chromed like originals? overall opinions?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-27-2003, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Crane Corvette valve covers

I have a set on my ZL1 they have better chrome on them then the factory ones. the spot welds do show. i was told they are just like the ZL1 factory ones i don't agree with that but they are nice looking but i'd rather have the factory ones.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:52 AM

I have three sets of original 69 BB valve covers here and the Crane copies are perfect. I've bought three pair off him and the chrome is much better. Spend the money as there worth it. Good Luck, Maxx
Old 12-30-2003, 06:10 PM

Maxx you work at coast2camaro?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've bought three pair off him and the chrome is much better.

[/ QUOTE ] That's the problem with repro valve covers, they look repro from a mile away. I've yet to find a place that can accurately reproduce the factory "flash" chroming process. Most platers today use a "triple plating" system, which isn't to say that there is 3 layers of chrome on them, that just means that they plate the steel part with brass and nickel before chroming over that. That's for better adhesion of the final layer of chrome and also helps to fill in minor surface imperfections. Original GM BBC covers were "flash" chromed, one thin layer of chrome over bare steel. This is why they didn't hold up well and every original pair you find has bad surface rust, especially around the bolt holes and wire stands where the chrome didn't adhere well. Here's a pic of an original '69 Chevelle L-78 motor, probably the nicest original valve covers I've seen in years. L-78 Here's a close up of the dripper spot welds and the ripple effect the flash chrome has on the bare steel. Original GM Valve Cover If someone can reproduce this look on a correctly stamped cover, then you're onto something. I'd be happy to find someone that will single layer flash chrome my original stampings, but I can't seem to find anyone who'll do it, especially in a small quantity like a single pair of valve covers. Anyone know of someplace that'll do this?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:32 PM

Erik,
I agree that no one duplicates the flash chroming found on the originals. I just paid $300 to have a correct original pair of valve covers re-chromed in a 5 step process. I have not seen the finished product yet, but I know it will be brighter, shinier, smoother than the originals, and thus not "correct"

I also paid to have my original rear bumper "over-restored" In my view, we "over-restore" our paint jobs, why not over-restore our chrome?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...we "over-restore" our paint jobs, why not over-restore our chrome?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, Its all just a matter of "How far towards "correct" do you want to go?" Many restorers duplicate paint flaws/orangepeel/overspray, etc. to create a final product that accurately recreates the factory appearance, while others prefer to "over-restore" all components and finishes. Its just a matter of what you're trying to accomplish...Its actually much harder to accurately restore a car with the "correct appearing" flaws and imperfections than it is to "over-restore" one. I always think the best restorations are the ones where you have to question if the car is restored or a superbly preserved original unrestored car. Of course opinions differ on this... and for every person who would love to get a pair of valve covers correctly flash-chromed, with the factory correct appearance, there are 10 other guys who would much rather have the overdone triple-plated ones, and would complain if their replating came back the way the factory did it. Personally, I like to see cars done as close to the way the were originally built as possible, flaws and all.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my view, we "over-restore" our paint jobs, why not over-restore our chrome?

[/ QUOTE ] I understand where you're coming from, we can only use what we have available to us. I guess that's what makes the survivor cars so special. Perhaps a better question would be why do we over-restore our paint jobs?
Old 12-31-2003, 02:28 AM

Maybe we should raise the "Barr" on correct restorations. I agree with Joe that the true survivors are the hot ticket for the future. Tom, is your 68 9737 L78 going to fall into that class?