Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 04-20-2007, 03:20 AM

Default eBay warning, please read

Just a heads-up;

I just had an ebay auction hijack my browser when I clicked on the link. It opened up about 20 additional windows on my computer before I could get my modem locked out, and it locked my computer up solid, had to manually shut it down and re-start it. Everything appears to be OK now, but I'm sure this was a hijacked auction with some sort of automatic re-direct code embedded in the auction.

Yes, I've reported it to eBay.

I would advise to browse eBay with caution, but there were NONE of the typical warning signs you normally see on these hijacked accounts. The ad was for a 427 Ford side-oiler engine.

I am just about finished with eBay for good. They have GOT to do something about their security flaws!

Eric
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 266074-160px-Al_Gore%2C_Vice_President_of_the_United_States%2C_official_portrait_1994.jpg 266043-thumbnail.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: eBay warning, please read

yea I read some scary stuff the otherday, these hackers are taking it to the next level and really can get ya if they want to...crazy times may be coming.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,621 Times in 497 Posts

I got an Ebay notice this morning for non-payment....pretty funny, considering I haven't bought anything ... the single best thing that could happen for the car hobby, next to Chevy releasing the VIN data ....would be for Ebay to close up shop!! They are the classic 800lb gorilla..totally out of control...yet we keep feeding it more bananas

wilma
Attached Images

02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 04-20-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got an Ebay notice this morning for non-payment....pretty funny, considering I haven't bought anything ... the single best thing that could happen for the car hobby, next to Chevy releasing the VIN data ....would be for Ebay to close up shop!! They are the classic 800lb gorilla..totally out of control...yet we keep feeding it more bananas

wilma

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon Tom.... you're on that Ebay rant again? Why not just bash the crooks and criminals instead of one of the many formats in which they operate?

There are people going door to door scamming people with poor construction work... does that make the construction industry crooked?

There are financial and insurance people scamming others out of their money.... do you still invest?

There are corrupt people in all forms of industry.... does that make it all bad?

Back to car stuff.... there are scammers at real-world swap meets.... should all swap meets be shut down?

On either this site or Steve's, someome was talking about getting scammed on some 12-bolt rear ends that were welded up. That's a real swap meet.... was Ebay at fault there too?

Redirect your anger at the PEOPLE committing the crimes, not at the environment where they operate, because EVERYTHING can be a place for corrupt people to do what they do - not just the Ebay that you love to hate.

Ebay doesn't scam people..... people scam people.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ebay doesn't scam people... people scam people.

[/ QUOTE ]

my new bumper sticker
Old 04-20-2007, 04:48 AM

Banks, investment institutions and every government agency has at their disposal many professional security advisors and computer programers whos' job it is to set up a software framework whereby these scams are prevented from happening. Ebay is making as much money or MORE than any of them, yet they do not have the staff to perfrom the same protection of their software. Could they afford to hire the staff to put in the same safeguards...YES. Have they....NO.
Ebay may not be "causing" the problem, but they surely are NOT doing anything to prevent it!!! They deserve the criticism!
I can only imagine the unrest among their support staff who continually have to deal with these issues with ebay users, and who are probably paid peanuts, sitting in a 5x5 cubie with a headset on 24-7. "we're sorry sir, we will cancel your account and your auctions and you will not have to pay your listing fees. all you have to do is re-register and change your password..........."
That's ALL they do!!!!!!!!

If your bank left it's vault open all day and had no security at all, and crooks came in and took your money, would you blame the crooks or the bank for your loss?

Old 04-20-2007, 04:55 AM

Hello, like I heard on a radio talk show yesterday "the spoon didn't make Rosie Odonnel fat". Larry
Old 04-20-2007, 05:14 AM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

As far as I know....The way a Ebay crook scams you is by sending you a fake message that looks like it is from Ebay...You then click on it's link and give them your password because you think you are merely logging onto Ebay. All of the scam emails they send you look perfect except a real ebay email also includes the real name you signed up under in addition to your Ebay user name. Ebay tells and tells people about this but paople still fall for it . If you think a message is from Ebay....simply go to Ebay all on your own, log on and go to your account. If it was real it will be there. If it was a scam it won't be there. If everyone did this the scammers would not be able to highjack the accounts. I am amazed that people blame Ebay when in reality they were not dealing with Ebay at all. They were just interacting with someone that simply copied a Ebay page and found a fish to fall for it.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:17 AM

Thanked 1,621 Times in 497 Posts

Verne, your insight is on the money....Ebay has a morale and ethical obligation to build safeguards into their system...yet little is done As for Allen's comments....yes, I do bash Ebay....maybe I should bash the scammers and crooks...show me who the are and I will be happy to do so. The internet world operates behind the electronic curtain...I just wish we could bring it all out in the open...and for what it's worth, I applaud the honest and legit Ebay participants....I'm sure they far out weigh the crooks...I just think they could do a much better job of house cleaning their own system...they certainly have the $$$ to do the job...

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 04-20-2007, 05:32 AM

I got some of those stating that my account was suspended because of item nonpayment...it all looks real until you look at the web address of link that they want you to click on...then its obvious...