Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 04-08-2020, 08:26 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,087 Times in 207 Posts
Default Need your advice/opinions for my 67 Camaro project.

UPDATE I Have made a decision on the direction of my car thank you all! The location of the build is now here
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160535

Hello everyone, I picked up my 67 in 2014 before getting married and starting a family. After being a lurker here for a while I joined yenko.net and immediately feel at home here with you all. This may be a long winded post I apologize.

A few things about my car:
LOS Vin 118, Body #70, 3tree L6

My original build thread is located here at camaros.net but I think I will continue my build here and just post progress photos to my original build thread.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/133-b...7-red-red.html

Originally I thought I was going to do an LS swap but I realized a classic small block with a 4 speed would be so much cooler.

Originally I thought I was going have the car painted Red with black stripes but realized that the original paint scheme on the outside would be the right choice I'd be happy with in the long run. (Base paint Bolero Red with Z21 white pinstripe)

I then thought that I would swap it for a black interior but now I'm having second thoughts on that as well.

My last vision for my car was to have the exterior of the car look all original, and a black Yenko inspired interior with black deluxe seat belts (not original) and z23 headliner molding (not original) with Vintage Air AC and drill holes in the original dash to put factory ac vents. I would run c6 corvette base brakes, ridetech front suspension/tru turn to make it handle excellent but retain an original look on the inside and outside.

But.... I can't run anything smaller than a 17" rim, and I'm realizing I love old school period correct 15" wheels. Who am I going to "fool" when you see the huge corvette calipers and rotors all the way around?

Why would I run modern hi performance suspension to go fast and handle well but not put in modern hi performance safety features (cage, seats, etc)

Long story short I do not want my Camaro to have an identity crisis and I think that's where I am at now so I need your guidance and opinion.

I regret the minitub I finished on the LH side and it's why I haven't done the RH side yet. (would that be a period correct mod?)

I'm at the point now where I think I want to sell all the modern expensive aftermarket bells and whistles for my car and either leave the original drums or find a period correct front disk brake setup and build a Day 2 1967 Camaro that was originally a 6cylinder/3on the tree. I think I may even want to leave the original column in (shift handle removed) so people know it was a 3 on the tree and they can see the 4 on the floor shifter.

A few hard points:
I do not want to make a clone (correct term) or tribute (politically correct term) car No SS badges no Z28 stripes, and absolutely no Spoiler ever. And in fact I thought about how cool it would look to put back the original 230 emblems on the fenders instead of V flags.

I do not want a 6cylinder car.

I do want to run a sbc (I have one) or bbc 4 speed

I want my car to be authentic.

As you can tell I'm increasingly leaning toward something I feel would be Authentic. Please give me your ideas and opinions on the direction of my build to make my build authentic, classic, and thus timeless. This by no means is a factory restoration as I do not want a 6cylinder or 3 on the tree or 10 bolt but I hope you get the idea. Would a period correct sleeper be authentic? What would you do if you could build my car?

Please help me out friends!

-Jose

67 Camaro L78

Last edited by jbtech; 04-11-2020 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typos, update
The Following User Says Thank You to jbtech For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (04-09-2020)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 2.net.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-08-2020, 08:35 PM

A few more photos:

67 Camaro L78
Old 04-08-2020, 10:12 PM

Get yourself a dry erase board, write down your goal, and stick to it, lol.

You have a blank canvas. Like the red on black, like the smallblock, 4 gear. Nothing wrong with upgrading the brakes/suspension. Like the mini tub, fit more tire( wider) w/o sticking out the wheel wells, w/o a full tubbed pro street look. Im a fan of the mini tub. Off the top of my head you can fit 28" tire height in the wells, stock spring height with no rubbing. Do the math for a 15" rim.

Little promod, little day2, little stock appearing,,no id crisis, all yours, all fun! Get off point, your head will start spinning. Also consider the purpose of the build, use that template.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 32KZ For This Useful Post:
jbtech (04-08-2020), jerry455 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:33 PM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 633 Posts

I'm becoming more of a day 2 fan and I'm trying to turn my car in that direction. Mine was built over 3 decades, so it's a mix of stuff. I understand why some people want to go with fuel injection, air conditioning and over drive, but I like things the old way. Many people wouldn't have my car because it's not easy or comfortable to drive, but I like it that way. If I gave you advice on how to build your car it would be completely opposite of the direction that you were going, but maybe not too far off of what you are thinking now.

I love a 4 speed. The reason that I no longer have a '67 SS396 Chevelle and I do have this Camaro is because the Chevelle was an automatic and the Camaro is a 4 speed. I like a big cam, which doesn't work well with overdrive. I don't mind driving down the highway at 3600 RPMs for a few hours. I also love the look of a big engine.

As for your mini tub, I believe that the super stock cars in the '70s had to use the original floor and wheel tubs, but the tubs could be made wider for larger tires. I think your mini tubs would work out fine because of this. If you put 15 inch wheels and tall tires on it then it won't look like a pro touring car.

If you were closer I could fix you up with a complete '67 sub frame with the 4 piston calipers and 2 piece rotors. You could run 15 inch wheels with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
jbtech (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32KZ View Post
Get off point, your head will start spinning. Also consider the purpose of the build, use that template.
Thank you do I feel like my head is spinning and your advice should help me get on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
If I gave you advice on how to build your car it would be completely opposite of the direction that you were going, but maybe not too far off of what you are thinking now... If you were closer I could fix you up with a complete '67 sub frame with the 4 piston calipers and 2 piece rotors. You could run 15 inch wheels with them.
Thank you! I am definitely moving away from the modern pro touring and I wish you were closer that brake setup would be perfect. I'm just curious about the direction you would take if this was your car, go ahead I asked so let me have it your ideas are very much inspiring and appreciated.

67 Camaro L78
Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 AM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 633 Posts

Well, you can look at my car and see a little of what I would do. If I had it to do over I would not tub my car, but it's too late for that. I've never had a tunnel ram on a running car before, so I don't know yet how I'm going to like it, but I think it's going to be cool. A 12 bolt or Dana 60 would be cool under it. I'm kind of tired of the 9 inch Ford stuff. I think the Dana looks great under a Camaro. Moser makes some bolt in 12 bolt and Dana 60 rear ends for your car. I love big blocks, especially the 427, so I'd have to go with that. If you like a small block then a high reving 327 with a bunch of day 2 stuff would be cool. I'm running a AutoGear 4 speed in my car with a 2.99 first gear, which helps me get the car moving on the street with a rear end gear that I can still run on the highway. I've also got a dual disc clutch with light pedal pressure so it's not too hard on my leg. Cragars are hard to beat on an old school hot rod, and the bias ply tires just look better to me. Keep the stock seats in it. The steering wheel that you have has potential if it can be restored. I'm also a fan of no spoilers. I'd love to build a '68 Camaro like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
jbtech (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:23 AM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

I know exactly what I would do with that car.

1. You already mini tubbed one side. Don't undo it. Just do the other side. So what if you decide not to run extra big tires? You still have the OPTION any time you want.

2. I agree, I would go with a traditional LOOKING small block (well almost). The old SBC platform still performs pretty darn good with a good hydraulic roller cam and some AFR heads. You can get essentially big block performance (with apologies to Freddie, whose car BTW is one of my favorites) with 400 + cubes and some AFR heads. These can easily get you in excess of 500 HP and still be streetable.

3. Agree with Freddie on the 12 bolt.

4. Forget about the four speed. Use a good 5 speed with OD 5th gear. You can get a shifter that will come up in the stock location, so you can't even tell by looking. You can run either a 3.73 or 4.10 rear with a .66 OD and still cruise on the highway. Best of both worlds.

5. I would paint the exterior to look bone stock including the white pin stripe. Great look on the 67.

6. Bone stock interior. They are handsome, and cheap to do.

7. Install subframe connectors and traction bars. I would not mess with a cage, unless you are going to need it for the strip. If so, go minimalist; maybe just a vintage 3 point.

8. I too, love the 15 inch wheels. On my 69 Z I runn 255 60 R15 in the back, and 215 70 R15 on the front. No rubbing issues. See picture below. Mine is the black one.

9. You can spend a ton on bigger brakes. If you like tinkering and want some kick ass brakes cheap, do what I did on my 68 El Camino. It was a 307 PG car with four wheel manual drum brakes. I bought a booster and MC from a guy who was upgrading his Disc Drum set up to four wheel discs. $60. I then sourced all the parts I needed from Rock Auto (other than caliper brackets which you will need to source... but it can be done) and used 77 Chevy pick up calipers, C3 Corvette rotors up front (which are ALMOST 12 inches, but fit nicely inside the 15 inch rims). See my odyssy here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-br...e-upgrade.html

A member here GAVE me some old backing plates off of a full size car and I put 11 inch drums on the rear. That El Camino stops amazingly well.... even with a trailer when the trailer brakes don't work... and sometimes they don't. I don't remember the final tally, but it was much cheaper than a kit, and I had fun doing it. The procedure would be the same for you 67 Camaro.

10. I wouldn't spend a ton on suspension. Do the Gulstrand mod on the upper control arms. Rebuild all the suspension pieces with Moog parts or delrin. Personally, I would go Moog. Get a set of big block springs for the front and cut off on coil. Install a good set of leaf springs on the rear that are a bit stiffer than stock. If you decide to go HUGE on sway bars, I have a rear bar you can have for free if you will pay shipping from Oklahoma. I took it off a friend's car that still had the stock 11/16 bar in the front and some knucklehead put a giant (I THINK it is a 1 inch rear bar, but may be 7/8.... would have to measure). This will not be a world beater, but will be so much fun to drive; and a lot less headache that trying to make a full blown pro touring car that will barely handle better than a new Hyundai.

11. I would install power steering. Plenty of write ups on PS boxes. I used a WS6 box on my car at one time (has the original manual steering on it right now) and had hoses made. Lock to lock steering was about half of stock, and it had great road feel. There are kits if you don't want to piece things together.

12. If I lived in San Jose, I would probably not put AC on this car. However, I live in OK, where we regularly top 100 in the summer months. One thing I don't like about my Z/28 is lack of AC. I rarely drive it in the summer. Black car, black interior. Butt blisters waiting to happen. If I were to build a 67 or 68 I would go with Vintage air with a Sanden compressor.

13. I would not go overboard, but would put one of the decent retro sound systems in. Keep it looking stock, except for some speakers.

You can tell I have never thought about building a 67 or 68. Like Freddie, I would LOVE to build a 68 to the above specs. In fact, if I ran across a great body minus engine and trans, I would be tempted, as I have the TKO 600 and a 427 small block just waiting for some AFR heads. My problem is all the cars I have lined up in front of that one. But, if the right deal came along on a cherry 68 body, I would really be tempted to shuffle some things.

Whatever you do, pick a plan and stick with it. Minor changes are no big deal, but stick to the plan once you commit to it. Work will progress much more quickly and smoothly, as you won't be frozen with analysis paralysis on a regular basis.

Good luck. We will need to see pics of your progress.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lynn; 04-09-2020 at 03:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
jbtech (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:33 AM

Stock colors/appearance, L88/M22.

Jason
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperNovaSS For This Useful Post:
jbtech (04-09-2020), PeteLeathersac (04-09-2020), RPOLS3 (04-12-2020), ZLP955 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 04:09 PM

Step one…. stop, and take a breath.
Step two…close your wallet
Step three…make a list of EXACTLY what you want the car to do and act like
Step four…work on the metal work you have started, yes minitub the other side and GET THAT DONE.
Step five …research take a look at the old Trans Am race cars of the late 60’s and early 70’s. Look up Smokey’s Camaro, and Bill Jenkin’s “Grumpy’s Toy” Camaros for inspiration.
Step six…DO NOT BUY ANYTHING…take inventory f what you have and sell off what you are not using
Back in the mid 90’s I built what you are looking to do from a 6 cylinder 67 Camaro. Did suspension, with Addco sway bars, heavy duty front and rear MULTI leaf springs, disc brake on front. Exterior bone stock except tire size 235 x 60 x 15 and 255 x 60 x 15 rears on 15 x 8 rally wheels. NOTE 15x8 on front RUB!!! Kept interior stock but added Autometer gauges in the stock pods for speedo and tach, and 3-gauge panel under dash. Clean and simple. Drive train I had 383 stroker, Dart heads, Hooker headers, hydrylic roller cam, and Holley Projection 4 700r4 trans and a 12 bolt with 4.10 posi. For the time it was advanced.
It was a great fun street car.
69 Camaro RS
69 Camaro SS 396
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris slawski For This Useful Post:
32KZ (04-09-2020), jbtech (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 05:02 PM

Wow, summed it up above post.
I really do have a large dry erase board in the shop. Notes, to do, goal. Like he said, step 3, purpose, is huge.

....restomod, why I said promod,,pretty different application.
The Following User Says Thank You to 32KZ For This Useful Post:
chris slawski (04-09-2020)